How can I use Allplan to create PDF documents (Portable Document Format) that can be opened and viewed using PDF viewers such as the free Acrobat Reader?
You can export PDF files directly from Allplan.
In addition to the design, bitmap areas and text, the direct export tool transfers layers, OLE objects, transparency and gradients.
Of course, you can also use external programs such as Adobe PDF and FreePDF to create PDF files. However, these programs do not provide all the options mentioned above. For example, transparency is not transferred.
Allplan provides the following options for exporting PDF data:
1. using the layout editor:
Create -> Plot Layout -> Export PDF Data
2. using the print preview:
Click the Export PDF Data icon in the toolbar at the top
3. exporting 3D PDF files from the animation window:
You can create a PDF file from the animation window. This file contains the 3D model displayed in the animation window.
This option is not described any further in this FAQ.
When exporting PDF data, you specify the file name in a dialog box, where you can also make basic settings for the PDF file:
- Resolution (in dpi)
- Document size (paper size (with margin) or printable area (without margin))
- Entire layout content
- Archiving format PDF/A 1a
- Export layers
- Embed TrueType fonts
- Add to file (first select an existing PDF file in this dialog box and then select this option -> the PDF file is attached as a new page to the existing file)
- Grayscale (version 2011 and later)
- Open file with associated application (should be selected. After you have created it, the PDF file automatically opens in this application so that you can check it.)
Note on the page format (new in Allplan 2011):
In Allplan 2011 and later versions, you set up a page in Allplan. The page size should be used as the size for the PDF file.
You need to exactly define the size you require for the page.
To use the page size for exporting the PDF file, select the following options:
- Select 'Paper size (with margin)'.
- Clear the 'Entire layout content' check box, if necessary.
Notes on 1. settings in the Plot Layout module:
You can make advanced settings in the "Plot Layouts" dialog box.
The following settings are used for exporting PDF data:
- Plot elements / options (Selection tab)
- Paper format and orientation (Output tab); see the above notes on the page format.
- Resizing: Resizing factor, resize pen thickness and rotation by 90° (Settings tab)
- Pen and color assignments... (Settings tab)
-> Line thickness for monochrome output and line colors for color output
-> Line display in color, black or using shades of gray (can only be changed when you select a color printer beforehand)
-> Gamma correction
- No pen optimization/ Use one pen only (number:)
- Plot profile (Settings tab)
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Creating_PDF_files.pdf
Notes on 2. settings in the print preview:
The PDF file is exported as it is currently displayed on screen.
You can make the settings that are used for the "Print" tool directly in the print preview (Display tab in the Print Preview Options).
To export PDF data in color, you need to install a printer driver that supports color and select this driver in the layout before you start exporting the PDF data.
It is advisable to install a printer driver for a large-format color plotter such as an HP DesignJet even if your office is not equipped with a large-format printer/plotter.
[Install as a local printer/ without plug & play, port: FILE, do not share the printer, do not print a test page.]