A new computer is to replace the existing one.
How can I transfer the existing data and settings of the existing Allplan installation to the new computer?
Please note that this solution only works with stand-alone versions.
Install the same version of Allplan on the new computer and transfer the data as follows:
1st - transferring the data:
Transfer the following folders from the old computer to the new one:
Project folder (PRJ)
Office standard folder (STD) and
User folder (USR)
You can determine the path to these folders on both the new computer and the old computer as follows:
Services application->Service->Hotline Tools->Showcfg: shows system variables ->OK
You can find the paths to the folders after PRJ, STD and USR.
2nd - transferring the toolbar configuration:
Export the configurations from the old computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Export...
You can then import the configurations to the new computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Import...
How can I update cross-section catalogs or install country-specific cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later?
To install and save cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later, select Tools -> Defaults -> Cross-Section Catalogs. A dialog box opens. You can find a folder symbol and a disk symbol at bottom left.
To install cross-section catalogs, use the folder symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select the cross-section catalog file you want to install. Select the file to be installed and click "Open" to confirm. This installs the corresponding cross-section catalog, which you can now use in Allplan.
To install country-specific cross-section catalogs, select the "Ing" folder, which was created when you installed Allplan. You can find it in the Allplan installation path (e.g., c:\Nemetschek\Allplan 201x\New\Ing - more information on the Allplan installation path is provided below in the "Notes" section).
This folder includes the country-specify cross-section catalog files.
To save a custom cross-section catalog, use the disk symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select any folder to save the cross-section catalogs currently used in Allplan.
To update cross-section catalogs, you may need administrator privileges. If necessary, log on as an administrator before you start the update.
To use the cross-section catalogs for a specific project only, set the path settings for the cross-section catalogs of this project to project before you install the cross-section catalogs. In Allplan, open the "File" menu and select "Open Project..." Click the corresponding project with the right mouse button. Select "Properties". A dialog box opens. In the "Path settings" area, set the "Bar and mesh cross-section catalogs" to "Project".
To determine the path where Allplan is installed, use the Services application and select Service -> Hotline Tools-> showcfg. The Services application window shows the path of the Allplan installation folder.
The following abbreviations are used for the country-specific cross-section catalogs in the file names (axyzqusr.txt):
tch Czech Republic
How can I install additional Allplan workstations on an existing network (with or without Workgroup Manager)?
Before you install the additional workstations, find out the path to the central file storage folder on a computer where Allplan has already been installed. Open the Services application on this computer. The Services application window shows the path to the central file storage folder.
Enter this path when Setup prompts you to specify the central file storage folder.
Select "Minimum" for the Setup type.
- Make sure the version you are installing is the same as the one installed on the other workstations.
- In addition, make sure all workstations are running either with Workgroup Manager or without Workgroup Manager. To find out whether Workgroup Manager is installed or not, open the Services application and check the menus: if you can see the Workgroup Manager menu, Workgroup Manager is installed.
- Installing additional workstations does not affect the data (projects, ...) in the central file storage folder.
- If you add new users to a new Allplan workstation, do not forget to add them to the Workgroup Manager, too.
- Version 2014 and earlier: if one of the computers also serves as the Allplan server, you cannot use the approach described above to find out the path to the central file storage folder.
In this case, you will see the path to a local folder instead of the central file storage folder.
Use a different computer to find out the path to the central file storage folder.
How can I temporarily borrow a license for a client from the license server?
To borrow a license, do the following:
You cannot borrow licenses on the license server. You can do this only at the clients.
You can only borrow and return a license if the client is connected with the license server.
Computers that are not on the company network must use a VPN connection to access the server.
At the client:
- Open the 'License settings' dialog box: Services application -> Utilities -> License settings.
- Click License selectionon the left. Then click the license you want to borrow so that this license is highlighted in blue.
- If this license is a license server license, the Todayand Borrowbuttons in the 'Borrow license for:' area are no longer grayed out.
- The Todaybutton always shows the preset period of time. The default setting is Today. If you want to change the period of time, click the Todaybutton. You can then choose from various options.
Note: When you select 'Today', the license will be available again for all Allplan users on the server tomorrow.
When you select a number of days, borrowing will always be valid for 24 hours. For example, you borrow a license for 1 day and borrowing starts at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, the license will not be available on the server until 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The same applies to selecting days on the calendar.
- After having specified the correct period, click Borrowto borrow the license at once.
You can immediately see the borrowed license in the license selection below your computer name. Click the green information button to get details about this license. For example, you can see when the borrowed license will automatically be returned to the server.
- If you want to return the license to the server before the time period expires, click the license again so that it is highlighted in blue. The Return licensebutton is now available. Click Return licenseto immediately return the selected license to the server.
Download PDF FAQ_EN_License_server_-_borrowing_licenses_temporari...
You have installed Allplan on several local workstations. Now you want to change the installation so that you can access a common network drive.
Before you switch to a network installation, it is essential that you back up all the data of all the workstations.
We strongly recommend that you take advantage of the expertise of Nemetschek’s technical support staff. We are happy to help you!
The following description shows how to change several workstations where Allplan is installed locally and the project data is also stored locally on each computer to workstations with a common network drive without Workgroup Manager.
1st - getting ready
Choose one of the workstations where you will install all the projects and the office standard (hereinafter referred to as the main workstation).
First, move all the projects to the main workstation.
1.a: copying resources into projects
To make sure that the projects in your office have a uniform appearance, change the path settings for the projects' resources to 'Project'.
Make the following setting for each project:
Allplan -> File menu -> ProjectPilot - Admin -> select the individual projects one after the other -> right mouse button -> Properties -> Settings tab
Set the path settings for 'Pen and line definitions', 'Fonts', 'Patterns, hatching styles, area styles', 'Bar and mesh cross-section catalogs', 'Layer structures, line styles, drawing types' and 'Attributes proposed' from 'Office' to 'Project', if necessary.
The corresponding elements are copied from the office standard directly to the project. This ensures that the project settings stay the same even when you copy the project to the new server with the new office standard.
1.b: same folder name as project name
Open the 'General' tab and select the 'Same folder name as project name' setting if you want to proceed as described in 2b.
1.c: pen color ("Color stands for pen")
The pen color for the "Color stands for pen" setting is a user-specific setting that is not saved in the project but in the user folder (...\Usr).
2.a: backing up projects of the individual workstations and importing them to the main workstation (recommended method):
Back up the individual projects. To do this, open the Services application and select Data Backup -> Create -> Entire folders -> Projects.
You can back up several projects in a single operation.
Before you start, specify the backup folder on the network or on the local hard disk: Services application -> Configuration -> Backup path ->Browse for Folder.
The next step is to import the saved projects to the main workstation.To do this, open theServices application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects Before you import the individual projects, you can create new Allplan projects at the main computer. As an alternative, you can also create a new project during the import.
2.b: backing up projects of the individual workstations and importing them to the main workstation (special approach):
This approach should only be used with good reason for exceptional cases as it requires in-depth knowledge of Windows.
With this method, Windows Explorer is used to import the projects to the main workstation.
If some project names exist twice, you need to rename these projects before you back them up.
You can then rename the existing 'project.dat' file in the Prj folder of the main workstation.
Next, select the Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> reorg -> Restore project management file.
The system creates a new project administration file (project.dat), which should list all projects with names.
Now the main workstation contains the latest version of all the projects of the office.
3rd - merging project defaults
Open ProjectPilot at the individual workstations and copy the elements you want to transfer (symbols, smart symbols, lists, schedules, and so on) to the external path. Of course, you can set the external path to a common network folder that can be accessed by all workstations.
Next, open ProjectPilot at the main workstation and copy the contents of the external path to the office standard.
4th - data backup
- Back up the projects, office standard and user settings at the main workstation:
You can also copy the ..\prj (projects), ..\std (office standard) and ..\usr (user folder) paths to a backup folder (Nemsic, for example) on the hard disk.
- In addition, you need to back up the ..\usr\local folder at every stand-alone computer.
- Export the user interface setting of each user to a file: Allplan -> Tools - > Customize .... -> Export...
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Switching_from_single_installation_to_network...
5th - uninstalling
Remove Allplan from all workstations.
6th - reinstalling
Before you install the same version again, create and share a folder (Nemdata, for example) on the future data server. Create a subfolder - Allplan - in this folder.
The next step is to reinstall the same version on all the workstations.
Specify the following installation paths:
local (C:\Programs\Nemetschek\Allplan, for example)
Central file storage folder:
Browse -> Network...
Find the sharedNemdata folder and select the Allplan folder.
After this, start installing.
7th - testing the start and restoring the backup
After the installation (check whether Allplan starts), copy the ..\prj and ..\std folders you backed up from the main workstation to the new ...\Nemdata\Allplan server folder.
Next, use Windows Explorer to copy the contents of the former user folder (…\usr\local) of the stand-alone workstation to the new user folder of the computer you just installed.
8th - updating the project administration file
Go to the project.datfile in the ...\Nemdata\Allplan\Prjfolder and rename itproject.alt.After this, do the following:
Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> reorg -> Restore project management file.
9th - summary
Now all the workstations access a common network drive with the same project pool and office standard.
With this type of installation, only one user can access a project at any one time. If several users are to work on a project at the same time, you need to install Workgroup Manager.
How can I restore a lost building structure or layout structure?
To restore a lost or corrupt building structure or layout structure, you can do the following:
- Close Allplan.
- Open Windows Explorer, go to the central file storage folder of Allplan and open the "Prj"folder. Open the corresponding project folder and the "BIM" subfolder.
If the "Same folder name as project name" option is not selected for the project, a number is used for the folder name in the "Prj"folder. In this case, open the Services applicationand select the woprohotline tool (Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> wopro). Select the corresponding project by double-clicking its name. An information dialog box shows the folder and file name of the project.
- You can find an XML file for each structure in the BIM subfolder.
Objects derived from building structure:
Allplan_BIM_LevMo_"name of model".xml
- To restore the building structure from a backup, rename the existing file "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml" "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.old", for example.
- Switch to the "Backup"folder, which you can also find in the"BIM"folder.
- Select the most recent file that had been created beforethe building structure was deleted, for example, "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.27.5.2008--10-32-21.bak". The characters in bold indicate the date and time of the backup. Copy this file to the "BIM"folder.
- Rename this file by deleting the characters after ".xml". Now the file name is "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml".
- Restart Allplan. The last version of the building structure is displayed in the "Open on a project-specific basis"dialog box again.
Using Allplan 2009-2 and later, you can restore the layout structure from a *.bak file straight from the "Open on a project-specific basis: layouts"dialog box.
- Right-click the topmost structural level in the layout structure (project name) and select Load layout structure favoriteon the shortcut menu.
- Open the last version of the Allplan_BIM_LayoutStructure.xml file in the backup folder mentioned above.
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Restoring_building_structure_layout_structure...
If the *.bak files are not displayed, please follow the steps described above.
How can I work together on a project with a partner from another country?
Using Allplan 2019 and later, you can work on projects across countries.
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Country-specific_projects_-_working_together_...
I have several licenses, but I want to use a specific license to start Allplan. How can I do this?
Open the license settings on the client:
Services application -> Utilities -> License settings -> License selection
You can see all the licenses that are available on the network. You can control license selection as follows:
Select the check box in front of a license to select this license as a favourite. You can mark as many licenses as you want. Allplan will then prefer these licenses. Click to select one or more licenses Allplan is not to use.
Make settings as you need.
If you do not select any license or if you have selected several favourites, Allplan will automatically use the first free license it finds.
Check which licenses are available.
This column shows how many licenses are still available. For example, 3/5 indicates that 3 out of 5 licenses are still available. Click the dropdown arrow to see a list of users currently working with a license.
I purchased a new license and received a Product Key for Allplan. However, I use earlier Allplan versions with NemSLock server in my office. How can I install Allplan 2015 or an earlier version despite the new license? How can I activate the license on NemSLock server?
Allplan 2016 introduced a new protection system. Since then licensing has been based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG. You can no longer use NemSLock server with Allplan. For running Allplan, you get a Product Key by email. Using this key, you can activate your license online.
This new license is not downward compatible. Consequently, you cannot use it for earlier Allplan versions.
If you want to install Allplan 2015 or an earlier version, use a trial license to install the version you need.
Make sure the Allplan version you install is always up-to-date. In other words, it should include the latest hotfixes and service releases.
You can download the current Allplan version from Allplan Connect or the FTP server.
Downloading from Allplan Connect:
Copy this link and paste it into the address bar of Windows Explorer. Then press ENTER.
This opens the folder on our FTP server.
Go to /download/Allplan/2015/CD (choose the path in accordance with the version you need) and select the appropriate file. Then click Edit -> Copy (Ctrl+C).
Switch to a folder on your computer and select Edit -> Paste (Ctrl+V).
Extract the ZIP file. Right-click the EXE file and select "Run as administrator".
Deactivate the virus scanner during installation.
1. Install Allplan with a trial license
Install Allplan. In the 'Select License Information' dialog box, choose 'Trial license for temporary use' and select the license for 'Architecture' or 'Engineering'.
Important: If you work with Workgroup Manager, select 'Different trial license' -> 'Next'. Open the Workgroup folder for your country and select the appropriate license. Then follow the instructions and install Allplan. Make sure you enter the paths correctly.
2. Use NemSLock server to request a registered license for the new seat
If you have not used a license server until now, install the license server using the trial license for NemSLock Server.
Installing NemSLock Server
- Start the Setup program for NemSLock Server. You can find the latest Setup program on our FTP server:
- The trial license is also on the FTP server:
ftp://nemhotline:email@example.com/download/Allplan/Lizenzserver/Allplan 2015 Nemslock Server Trial.nslsrv
- Select the trial license file for NemSLock Server. This license is valid for 30 days, but it includes only seat. The full number of seats purchased will be available to you as soon as you have installed the registered licenses (see below).
- Select the full installation.
- If the service does not start automatically after Setup, select Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and start the Nemslock Server 2006 service.
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Consoleby clicking the corresponding icon on the desktop or by selecting Start -> All Programs -> NemSLock 2006 Server -> NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Switch to Moduleson the left.
- Select one of your seats.
- Click the Registration request (register.txt)button.
- Click Edit.
- Fill out all fields marked with an asterisk (*). Make sure you enter your email address correctly, because the registered license file will be sent to this address (and not to the address of the person who sent the registration request!). Click OKto confirm.
- Click Create registration request. Windows Explorer opens and shows the register.txt file.
If you have closed Windows Explorer, you can find the file in the program folder of NemSLock Server. If you installed the program to the path proposed, the path is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nemetschek\NemSLock Server 2006\Programs\License.
- Use an editor to open the new register.txt file.
You can find the entry for your seat in line @23@seat:. Change it and enter your new seat number instead. For example, if you purchased seat 08, change the entry to @23@seat: 08. Save the file.
- You can now use all the options provided by Windows Explorer to copy the registration file to a computer with Internet connection. You can do this on the network or you can use a USB stick. You can then email the file to us.
- Send the email with the registration request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will promptly receive your registered license for the new seat.
Exit Allplan on all workstations.
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click Stop serveron the left.
- Switch to Moduleson the left.
- Click Browse and select the registered license file.
- Click Install license file.
- After this, you can start the server again by clicking Start server.
Download PDF FAQ_EN_Installing_an_earlier_version_with_NemSLock_s...
If you purchased several new licenses, you have to generate and send a separate registration request for each seat. Just repeat the steps described above. You will then receive a registered license file for each seat. You must install each file.
How to install and run NemSLock Server?
Before installing, check whether the package you received includes the following items:
- Temporary licenses for NemSLock Server, e.g. 1234567a_001_psd.nslsrv
- Temporary licenses for clients, e.g. 1234567a_001_psd_client.nslock
How to install NemSLock Server
- Start the Setup program for NemSLock Server. You can find the latest Setup program on our FTP server:
- Select one of the temporary license files for NemSLock Server. These licenses are valid for 30 days. However, each license includes only one seat of each configuration purchased. The full number of seats purchased will be available to you as soon as you have installed the registered licenses (see below). If you purchased a configuration for one seat only, you will, of course, receive only one temporary license.
- When you opt for the “Custom” setup type, you can choose between the following program features:
You can use this program to administer NemSLock Server. You can also install the console on more workstations so that you can administer the server from a number of different locations. However, you can only connect one console to the server at any one time.
The actual license server.
This tool analyzes the log files of NemSLock Server.
By default, Setup installs all these features.
If you have several temporary licenses for NemSLock Server, use the server console to install the remaining licenses after the installation. The procedure is described in the section "How to install licenses".
How to register licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console by clicking the corresponding icon on the desktop or by selecting Start -> All Programs -> NemSLock 2006 Server -> NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Select the seat you want to register. If your license includes configurations for several seats, you must send a separate registration request for each seat. You will then receive a registered license file for each seat. You must install each file.
- Click the "Registration request (register.txt)" button.
- Click "Edit".
- You must fill out all fields marked with an asterisk (*). Make sure you enter your email address correctly, because the registered license file will be sent to this address (and not to the address of the person who sent the registration request!). Click OK to confirm.
- Click "Create registration request". Windows Explorer opens and shows the register.txt file. If this window is closed, you can find this file in the program folder of NemSLock Server. If you installed the program to the path proposed, the path is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nemetschek\NemSLock Server 2006\Programs\License
- Now you can use all the options provided by Windows Explorer to copy the registration file to a computer with Internet access on the network. Alternatively, you can also use an USB stick. You can then email this file to us.
- Send the email with the registration request to email@example.com
How to install licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Stop server" on the left.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Click "Browse" to navigate to the registered license file.
- Click "Install license file".
- After this, you can start the server again by clicking "Start server".
How to set up users (optional)
- predefined user ALLis created automatically. If there is no other user, each user is given the privileges of the user ALL. By default, this user can use all licenses but cannot check out any licenses. By double-clicking the user, you can change the user's privileges.
- predefined user ALLallows all users to use licenses. In order to do this, the users must be able to access the server. You do not need to create individual user profiles until you want to assign specific rights to individual users or limit access to selected users. predefined user ALL. If you want to work only with individual users, you should deactivate the predefined user ALL by revoking the user's right to use licenses.
- predefined user ALL has administrator privileges unless another user is created and appointed as the administrator. As soon as you have appointed an administrator, ALL no longer has administrator privileges.
- You can enter users in the “Users.mcf” file. predefined user ALL has administrator privileges again. In addition, each user can once again administer the license server using the console.
- The administrator user is not a special user. If there are several administrator users, only one administrator user can start the console for this license server at any one time.
- If you are setting up users without giving administrator privileges to anyone, the program will ask you whether you want to appoint yourself as the administrator.
You can also specify a domain (user authentication for Windows server). However, this is not mandatory. If you do not specify a domain, the program uses the Windows user name for each user.
The program writes the user accounts and the associated access rights as ASCII text to the users.mcf file.
You can find this file in the \Programs folder of the NemSLock Server installation. You cannot rename, delete or move this file. If the program can no longer connect to this file, you must exit NemSLock Server, restart it and enter all users again from scratch. predefined user ALLis retained.
Experienced administrators can use the PowerShell script NemGenUsers.ps1. This file is in the \Programs folder of the NemSLock Server installation or you can find it as an FAQ in Allplan Connect:
How to install and configure clients
- Use one of the nslock license files you received to install the clients. Do not use the trial license or the license server license. It is irrelevant which of the client licenses you use, as the actual license will come from the license server later.
- You do not need to register the clients.
- When switching from Hardlock to NemSLock (server), you need to update the client using a nslock license file.
After having installed the client, you need to switch to the license server:
- Start -> (All) Programs -> Nemetschek -> Nemetschek SoftLock 2006 -> License Manager
- If the license server window is not visible, select "Configure NemSLock Server" at the bottom. Lock this window. All you need to do is click the drawing pin icon.
- Enter the computer name or IP address of the license server in the empty box. Then click the "Update” icon to the right.
- Now the user can select one of the seats provided.
- After having successfully connected to the license server, clear the check boxes for the trial licenses in the area at the top.
- Click "Close" to complete the configuration. Now you can start Allplan.
- If a user selects several configurations for a seat and starts Allplan, the license server will provide the required licenses; in other words, starting Allplan once might require two licenses. Consequently, fewer licenses are available to other users.
- 2014-1 and later: If the latest version of License Manager is installed (file version 1. 0. 26. 153 or later, see License Manager- Options- System), you can also select several licenses. If one of the selected licenses is currently being used by someone else, the program will automatically select the next available license.
- Clients communicate with the server by TCP/IP via port 10977. So you need to configure the firewall accordingly.
- The license server and the licenses are downward compatible; they can be used in conjunction with older Allplan versions.