How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> email@example.com.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.
I have received a license for my dongle. How can I install this license?
1. License on hard disk (or network drive)
Copy the license files to any folder, for example, C:\License, and select this folder when you install the license.
a. During setup
While installing Allplan, select the 'License file from any folder' option and choose the folder with the license files.
b. Installing a license later
To install the license, select
Services application -> Utilities -> License -> Install HARDLOCK License
A dialog box appears. Select the folder with the license files.
2. License by email
If you have received the license by email, save the attachment to any folder, for example, C:\License, and proceed as described in step 1.
If the licenses are compressed (*.zip), extract them first using an appropriate program, such as Winzip (www.winzip.de).
3. License on storage medium (CD or USB stick)
You can also copy the license files to a storage medium (USB stick, for example) or write them to a CD and then proceed as described in step 1b.
- If you have received a license for a license server, read the instructions in the documents for the license server. If any questions arise, contact technical support.
- Keep the license in a safe place as you may need it for future installations or if there are problems.
- Make sure you install the license that is appropriate to the dongle you use, as each license matches only a single dongle. time.
- Setup needs to access the license file(s) during the entire installation process. It is therefore not possible to read the license file(s) from a CD and then remove this CD during installation. You are advised to copy the license file(s) to a folder on the hard disk.
What effects do Windows 8.1 updates have on Allplan versions?
Allplan versions 2014-0-2 and later are running on Windows 8.1.
To make sure that Allplan runs smoothly after you have updated to Windows 8.1, you need to do the following:
1st step: backing up and restoring Allplan user settings
Prior to installing the Windows update, select
Services application -> Data Backup -> Create -> Entire folders -> Private settings -> Full
to back up your own Allplan user settings.
If you find out that some settings are missing after you have updated to Windows 8.1, you can select
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Entire folders -> Private settings -> Full
to restore these settings.
In addition, you are strongly advised to back up and archive all the data before you update the operating system!
2nd step: restoring Allplan licensing
Depending on the licensing system you use, there are different issues to bear in mind.
After the Windows update you need to fix Nemetschek Softlock License Manager as described in the following document:
Uninstall the hardlock driver (Sentinel runtime driver) during the update to Windows 8.1 as described below:
Install the latest hardlock driver after the Windows update. You can find the driver and the instructions using the following link: