Allplan does not react promptly or seems to hang after I have selected the "Open on a Project-Specific Basis" or "New Project, Open Project" tool.
One of the following virus scanners is running: Trendmicro, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avira, F-Prot and others.
What can I do to solve this problem?
Check whether updating the software of the virus scanner solves the problem.
If it doesn't, configure the real time scanner of the virus scanner so that it no longer scans the program folder and data folder of Allplan.
Start the Services application. Make a note of the following paths displayed in the Services application window:
General program data
Central file storage folder
Define these folders as exemptions in your virus scanner.
Bear in mind that virus scanners may be installed on the server and the clients (provided you work with a server).
For more information on the virus scanner, contact the manufacturer.
I purchased the license server. How can I install and configure the license server?
Allplan is using since version 2016 a new protection system. Licensing is based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG since then. You can no longer use NemSLock Server with Allplan 2016 and higher.
Allplan requires a Product Key. Using this key, you can activate your license online. The Product Key is a unique, 26-digit character string. You can use it to activate a license for Allplan.
You can find your Product Key in Allplan Connect. Go to http://connect.allplan.com/license
Note: The license is downwards compatible til version Allplan 2016-1-4 even if a higher version is displayed.
To install the license server, download the software for the license server from Allplan Connect
or from our FTP server:
The Wibu license server is part of the CodeMeter driver, which is installed along with Allplan. If you have already installed Allplan on the license server, you do not have to install additional software. But you can also install the license server separately; you do not have to install Allplan.
In any case, install and activate the license server before you install Allplan on the clients.
You can activate a license in online mode only if you have ...
- Internet access
- a Product Key
- a license server license; you cannot use other licenses with the license server.
Installing the license server
- You must install the license server on a 64-bit Windows system.
- Start License Server Setup on the computer you want to use as the license server.
- Click Install.
- Start the license server by starting the License Settings program. Go to the License activation area, enter your Product Key and click Activate license.
- If you have more licenses for the license server, enter the respective Product Keys and activate the licenses.
- Afterwards, start CodeMeter Control Center.
To do this, use the Windows start menu and select CodeMeter -> CodeMeter Control Center. As an alternative, open Search by clicking the Search button on the Start screen: enter Codemeter and press ENTER. A dialog box opens. Click WebAdmin at bottom right.
Enter Localhost:22350in the address bar of your browser.
- Select Configuration -> Server -> Access server in the Network server area and click Activate.
- Click Apply.
Configuring the license server (optional)
You can use the CodeMeter WebAdmin application to administer the license server.
To start and stop the license server service, you can use CodeMeter Control Center.
- CodeMeter Control Center -> Action -> Start or Stop CodeMeter Service
By default, all users on the LAN, who have installed the CodeMeter driver, can use a license from the license server.
- Basic access control: you can enter a list of client computer names or IP addresses that are allowed to access the license server.
- Advanced access control: you can specify global access rules (for all licenses) to control access to the licenses.
To activate license tracking, you have to set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS\CodeMeter\Server\CurrentVersion\LogLicenseTracking registry entry to 1 and restart CodeMeter Service.
After having activated this key, you can use CodeMeter WebAdmin to create a report showing details about the licenses used over a specific period of time. To do this, open CodeMeter WebAdmin and go to the 'Server' - 'License Tracking' page. Select the period of time and the license for which you want to generate a report. Then click 'Create report'. If you click a single bar, you will get detailed analyses per day or per hour.
CodeMeter WebAdmin saves the reports to C:\ProgramData\CodeMeter\Logs.
Installing and configuring clients
Note for Version 2016: Install at least Allplan 2016-1-4 on the clients.
The license server license will be detected automatically on the network.
Install Allplan on the clients. When you are prompted to select the license file, click Use active license. Follow the installation instructions.
- You do not need to activatethe clients.
Allplan automatically finds the license server on the local network. If you have not selected a license, Allplan automatically selects the first available license.
After having installed Allplan on the clients, you can use the 'License Settings' dialog boxto configure license selection.
Services application -> Utilities -> License settings
- License activation: this area is not relevant to clients taking their license from the license server.
- License selection: use this section if you get the license from a license server or if you have several licenses and you want to select the preferred license.
- Start as a viewer: click this button if you want to start Allplan as a viewer.
You can see the names of the available licenses with their seat numbers.
The 'Available' column indicates how many licenses are still available. Click the dropdown arrow to see a list of users currently working with a license.
Select the check box in front of a license to select this license as a favorite. You can mark as many licenses as you want. Allplan will then prefer these licenses. Click to select one ore more licenses Allplan is not to use. If you do not select any license or if you have selected several favorites, Allplan will automatically use the first free license it finds.
Find license server automatically:
When you select this option, Allplan automatically detects a license server on the LAN. In some cases, such as VPN connections, Allplan may not be able to detect a server automatically. In this case, you can enter the server manually (see Additional server name).
Note: Only the Windows administrator can change this option.
Additional server name:
If 'Find license server automatically' is not active or Allplan has not automatically found a license server, you can manually enter the name or the IP address of the server. If 'Find license server automatically' is active, you can enter an additional server. After having entered the server name, click 'Update' to see the licenses of the license server. Use semicolons to separate several server names.
You can find detailed information on the license server in the License Settings help (F1 key).
Allplan communicates with the license server via TCP/IP. By default, communication is via Port 22350 unless you change the port in CodeMeter WebAdmin.
If a firewall is active on your computer, you must enable port 22350 for TCP and UDP. If the firewall filters in an application-specific manner, you have to enable the CodeMeter.exe license server service. You can find this service in the %Program Files (x86)%\CodeMeter\Runtime\bin Windows folder. Define the CodeMeter.exe service as an exception in the firewall. Some anti-virus programs also include firewall functions. If you are not sure, contact the manufacturer of the anti-virus program.
- Why can't I create elements?
- Why can't I move a drawing?
- Why are elements not created correctly?
- Why does the program crash when I import a DXF file from the land registry office?
- Why is the outline of a circumscribed area not detected correctly?
- Why can't I calculate shadows?
- Why are elements not displayed correctly in animation?
- Why are parts of dimension text missing?
- Why do the contents of the screen suddenly rotate?
- Why can't I get a preview when I move or copy elements?
- Why are areas not calculated correctly?
Finding the reason for these problems:
Check whether an offset is set in the project settings (File -> New Project, Open Project-> select the project and open the shortcut menu -> Properties; Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options ->Advanced Draft -> Settings). If there are offset coordinates, clear the check box.
Select Tools -> Measure(->)Coordinates.
Click in the middle of the drawing in plan view.
If there are very large values (for example, x/y/z greater than 5000 m), you have found the reason for these problems.
The system has problems calculating and displaying data with very large coordinates. The more data you have with very large coordinates, the greater this effect.
- Click Tools -> Options... -> Desktop environment -> Generaland select Optimize working with large coordinates(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options -> Global Options -> Miscellaneous tab -> Optimize working with large coordinates). After this you must restart Allplan. Otherwise, this setting has no effect.
This is a user setting you must define separately for each user.
- Usually, the best solution is to move the data towards the Allplan origin. Use the "Move" tool. When Allplan prompts you to specify the target point ("To point"), select Global point in the dialog line. You can find detailed information in the help for Allplan. Look for the Global pointtopic.
If the data are still not displayed correctly, do the following:
Exit Allplan -> Services application-> Service -> Hotline Tools-> cleanup -> start Allplan.
How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> email@example.com.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.
How can I permanently change the path settings presented for selection in specific tools (save, import)?
When you save, import and export elements or files, Allplan automatically proposes a specific folder where the data is saved or taken from.
You can specify which Allplan file type is saved in which folder. These folders are automatically presented in the "Save" dialog box of the relevant file type. However, you can change them at any time.
To set this proposed folder on an individual basis, do the following:
Select the Tools menu ->Options... -> Desktop environment(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options... -> Global Options-> "Settings"tab).
You can click thePAah setting sbutton to the right of Folders for savingto define defaults. You can choose Project, Private, Custom or Last for the path setting:
- Project: the file type is saved in the current project (not available for NDW and NPL files).
- Private: the file type is saved in the user's private project.
- Custom: you can specify any folder for the file type. To select the folder, click the path displayed in the Folder column and enter a new path or click ... in the Browse column and select the path in a dialog box.
- Last: the file type is saved in the path you selected last.
How can I update cross-section catalogs or install country-specific cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later?
To install and save cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later, select Tools -> Defaults -> Cross-Section Catalogs. A dialog box opens. You can find a folder symbol and a disk symbol at bottom left.
To install cross-section catalogs, use the folder symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select the cross-section catalog file you want to install. Select the file to be installed and click "Open" to confirm. This installs the corresponding cross-section catalog, which you can now use in Allplan.
To install country-specific cross-section catalogs, select the "Ing" folder, which was created when you installed Allplan. You can find it in the Allplan installation path (e.g., c:\Nemetschek\Allplan 201x\New\Ing - more information on the Allplan installation path is provided below in the "Notes" section).
This folder includes the country-specify cross-section catalog files.
To save a custom cross-section catalog, use the disk symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select any folder to save the cross-section catalogs currently used in Allplan.
To update cross-section catalogs, you may need administrator privileges. If necessary, log on as an administrator before you start the update.
To use the cross-section catalogs for a specific project only, set the path settings for the cross-section catalogs of this project to project before you install the cross-section catalogs. In Allplan, open the "File" menu and select "Open Project..." Click the corresponding project with the right mouse button. Select "Properties". A dialog box opens. In the "Path settings" area, set the "Bar and mesh cross-section catalogs" to "Project".
To determine the path where Allplan is installed, use the Services application and select Service -> Hotline Tools-> showcfg. The Services application window shows the path of the Allplan installation folder.
The following abbreviations are used for the country-specific cross-section catalogs in the file names (axyzqusr.txt):
tch Czech Republic
How can I temporarily borrow a license for a client from the license server?
To borrow a license, do the following:
You cannot borrow licenses on the license server. You can do this only at the clients.
You can only borrow and return a license if the client is connected with the license server.
Computers that are not on the company network must use a VPN connection to access the server.
At the client:
- Open the 'License settings' dialog box: Services application -> Utilities -> License settings.
- Click License selectionon the left. Then click the license you want to borrow so that this license is highlighted in blue.
- If this license is a license server license, the Todayand Borrowbuttons in the 'Borrow license for:' area are no longer grayed out.
- The Todaybutton always shows the preset period of time. The default setting is Today. If you want to change the period of time, click the Todaybutton. You can then choose from various options.
Note: When you select 'Today', the license will be available again for all Allplan users on the server tomorrow.
When you select a number of days, borrowing will always be valid for 24 hours. For example, you borrow a license for 1 day and borrowing starts at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, the license will not be available on the server until 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The same applies to selecting days on the calendar.
- After having specified the correct period, click Borrowto borrow the license at once.
You can immediately see the borrowed license in the license selection below your computer name. Click the green information button to get details about this license. For example, you can see when the borrowed license will automatically be returned to the server.
- If you want to return the license to the server before the time period expires, click the license again so that it is highlighted in blue. The Return licensebutton is now available. Click Return licenseto immediately return the selected license to the server.
I have used the "Check out" tool to check out the computer from the network and remove the network connection.
Why is Workgroup Manager no longer working?
Windows disables network functionality as soon as you remove the network connection (unplug the network cable).
Running Allplan, however, requires specific network protocols (even if the computer is checked out).
To make sure that the operating system's network functionality is not interrupted, you can install a virtual network interface card.
Microsoft provides a driver for this (loopback adapter).
How to install:
Right-click the Windows Start button -> select "Run".
Type in "hdwwiz" in the search field. Right-click the program found -> select "Run as admin".
Click Next -> select the required hardware manually in a list and install it -> click "Next".
Select "Network adapter" in the list -> click "Next".
Select "Microsoft" in the list on the left -> "Microsoft loopback adapter for KM TEST" is presented for selection on the right -> click "Next" -> click "Next".
Click the Windows Start button -> type in "hdwwiz" in the search field. Right-click the program found -> select "Run as administrator".
Click Next -> select the required hardware manually in a list and install it -> click "Next".
Select "Network adapter" in the list -> click "Next".
Select "Microsoft" in the list on the left -> "Microsoft loopback adapter" is presented for selection on the right -> click "Next" -> click "Next".
Start the "Hardware Wizard" by selecting
Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and clicking Continue -> Next.
Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (advanced)" in the box and choose "Network adapter" in the list that follows.
This selects and installs the "Microsoft loopback adapter".
You have installed Allplan on several local workstations. Now you want to change the installation so that you can access a common network drive.
Before you switch to a network installation, it is essential that you back up all the data of all the workstations.
We strongly recommend that you take advantage of the expertise of Nemetschek’s technical support staff. We are happy to help you!
The following description shows how to change several workstations where Allplan is installed locally and the project data is also stored locally on each computer to workstations with a common network drive without Workgroup Manager.
1st - getting ready
Choose one of the workstations where you will install all the projects and the office standard (hereinafter referred to as the main workstation).
First, move all the projects to the main workstation.
1.a: copying resources into projects
To make sure that the projects in your office have a uniform appearance, change the path settings for the projects' resources to 'Project'.
Make the following setting for each project:
Allplan -> File menu -> ProjectPilot - Admin -> select the individual projects one after the other -> right mouse button -> Properties -> Settings tab
Set the path settings for 'Pen and line definitions', 'Fonts', 'Patterns, hatching styles, area styles', 'Bar and mesh cross-section catalogs', 'Layer structures, line styles, drawing types' and 'Attributes proposed' from 'Office' to 'Project', if necessary.
The corresponding elements are copied from the office standard directly to the project. This ensures that the project settings stay the same even when you copy the project to the new server with the new office standard.
1.b: same folder name as project name
Open the 'General' tab and select the 'Same folder name as project name' setting if you want to proceed as described in 2b.
1.c: pen color ("Color stands for pen")
The pen color for the "Color stands for pen" setting is a user-specific setting that is not saved in the project but in the user folder (...\Usr).
2.a: backing up projects of the individual workstations and importing them to the main workstation (recommended method):
Back up the individual projects. To do this, open the Services application and select Data Backup -> Create -> Entire folders -> Projects.
You can back up several projects in a single operation.
Before you start, specify the backup folder on the network or on the local hard disk: Services application -> Configuration -> Backup path ->Browse for Folder.
The next step is to import the saved projects to the main workstation.To do this, open theServices application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects Before you import the individual projects, you can create new Allplan projects at the main computer. As an alternative, you can also create a new project during the import.
2.b: backing up projects of the individual workstations and importing them to the main workstation (special approach):
This approach should only be used with good reason for exceptional cases as it requires in-depth knowledge of Windows.
With this method, Windows Explorer is used to import the projects to the main workstation.
If some project names exist twice, you need to rename these projects before you back them up.
You can then rename the existing 'project.dat' file in the Prj folder of the main workstation.
Next, select the Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> reorg -> Restore project management file.
The system creates a new project administration file (project.dat), which should list all projects with names.
Now the main workstation contains the latest version of all the projects of the office.
3rd - merging project defaults
Open ProjectPilot at the individual workstations and copy the elements you want to transfer (symbols, smart symbols, lists, schedules, and so on) to the external path. Of course, you can set the external path to a common network folder that can be accessed by all workstations.
Next, open ProjectPilot at the main workstation and copy the contents of the external path to the office standard.
4th - data backup
- Back up the projects, office standard and user settings at the main workstation:
You can also copy the ..\prj (projects), ..\std (office standard) and ..\usr (user folder) paths to a backup folder (Nemsic, for example) on the hard disk.
- In addition, you need to back up the ..\usr\local folder at every stand-alone computer.
- Export the user interface setting of each user to a file: Allplan -> Tools - > Customize .... -> Export...
5th - uninstalling
Remove Allplan from all workstations.
6th - reinstalling
Before you install the same version again, create and share a folder (Nemdata, for example) on the future data server. Create a subfolder - Allplan - in this folder.
The next step is to reinstall the same version on all the workstations.
Specify the following installation paths:
local (C:\Programs\Nemetschek\Allplan, for example)
Central file storage folder:
Browse -> Network...
Find the sharedNemdata folder and select the Allplan folder.
After this, start installing.
7th - testing the start and restoring the backup
After the installation (check whether Allplan starts), copy the ..\prj and ..\std folders you backed up from the main workstation to the new ...\Nemdata\Allplan server folder.
Next, use Windows Explorer to copy the contents of the former user folder (…\usr\local) of the stand-alone workstation to the new user folder of the computer you just installed.
8th - updating the project administration file
Go to the project.datfile in the ...\Nemdata\Allplan\Prjfolder and rename itproject.alt.After this, do the following:
Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> reorg -> Restore project management file.
9th - summary
Now all the workstations access a common network drive with the same project pool and office standard.
With this type of installation, only one user can access a project at any one time. If several users are to work on a project at the same time, you need to install Workgroup Manager.
How can I access the FTP server of technical support?
You can download data from and upload data to the FTP server.
To access our FTP server, you require a current Windows operating system. Do the following:
Please enter the following address in Windows Explorer (do not use Internet Explorer!):
1. Downloading data:
You can find our data in the /Download folder.
Right-click the folder(s) or file(s) you want to download and select "Save Target As ...".
Specify where you want to copy the data by selecting a folder on your computer.
If customers agree, we can provide customer-specific data in the /Customerfolder.
For this, you will get separate instructions.
2. Uploading customer data:
If we agree, customers can upload data to the /Upload folder.
- You can upload only files. You cannot upload folders to the server. If you want to upload an entire project, please save this project to a ZIP file first.
- You can also use Internet browsers to access the FTP server. However, there are some restrictions. Use an FTP client program (for example, FileZilla)to avoid errors. This makes it easier for you to upload and download data. See the following information.
- Login details for FTP program: