I just installed an upgrade. How can I convert all the projects at once?
Back up all the projects beforehand!
Do the following:
- Exit Allplan on all workstations.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Log in as the Allplan administrator (sysadm).
- Start the Services application.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Make sure all the computers where projects are located are up and running.
To check this, select:
Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Information -> Display Project List(the second column displays the computer where the project is located).
- Go to the computer where you want to convert the data and set the drawing file size to the maximum value:
Services application->Service ->Hotline Tools->docsize ->512 (or 1024, if available) ->OK
After data conversion, you can set the drawing file size back to the initial value.
- Start converting the data (use the computer where you have changed the drawing file size):
Services application ->Service ->Hotline Tools -> datwaprjs: convert data of all projects
If you reply "Yes" at the following two prompts, the program will convert the data of all projects.
The time it takes to convert the data depends on various factors:
- Number of projects
- Size of each project
- Performance of the computer converting the data
- Network performance
It is possible to start data conversion from several workstations at the same time.
A new computer is to replace the existing one.
How can I transfer the existing data and settings of the existing Allplan installation to the new computer?
Please note that this solution only works with stand-alone versions.
Install the same version of Allplan on the new computer and transfer the data as follows:
1st - transferring the data:
Transfer the following folders from the old computer to the new one:
Project folder (PRJ)
Office standard folder (STD) and
User folder (USR)
You can determine the path to these folders on both the new computer and the old computer as follows:
Services application->Service->Hotline Tools->Showcfg: shows system variables ->OK
You can find the paths to the folders after PRJ, STD and USR.
2nd - transferring the toolbar configuration:
Export the configurations from the old computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Export...
You can then import the configurations to the new computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Import...
This document provides further information on installing Allplan 2019.
Backing up and archiving data:
We strongly recommend that you back up and archive all your data before you upgrade to Allplan 2019.
How to install
You can find detailed instructions on how to install Allplan 2019 in the following places:
- After you have downloaded and unzipped Allplan 2019, you can find the ‘install.chm’ file in the following folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2019\HelpFiles\English.
- Use the following link:
https://webdrive.allplan.com/s/4LrjrymoxESzC6p and open the General\Installation help\2019 folder.
Please read these instructions before you install Allplan 2019.
System requirements for Allplan 2019
How to handle licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2019
Some notes on installing Allplan 2019
If you want to switch from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019, you can choose between three installation options. We recommend using the second option: first-time installation and copy data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
1. First-time installation
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). Setup does not transfer any data or settings to the new installation.
If you want to transfer data later, you have the following options:
You can uninstall Allplan 2019 and then upgrade from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
You can integrate the data manually (requires administrative knowledge).
2. First-time installation and copy data from version
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). You can configure Setup to automatically copy the office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to the new installations folder.
This duplicates the data: You can use all projects, defaults and resources both in Allplan 2018 and in Allplan 2016/2017/2016. This way, you can test the new version without losing your 'old' Allplan version.
Bear in mind, though, that you should not mix data from different versions. Merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
2a. Continue with first-time installation and copy data from version
This option is available when you have already used the second installation option to install <Product_Version> to a computer that accesses the same data server. As a result, the data are already available.
3. Upgrade and transfer data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018
This option installs Allplan 2019 to an existing folder, converting Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019 and transferring all important settings. Afterwards, you can no longer work with Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
This does nor affect earlier Allplan versions (Allplan 2015 or earlier).
Installing on a network:
- If you work in a network environment (one common central file storage folder), you must upgrade all workstations to Allplan 2019. Beforeyou start installing, make sure that all workstations can be upgraded. For technical reasons, it is not possible to mix installations of different major releases. Any related problems area not covered by service contracts.
- During the upgrade, Allplan 2016/2017/2018 must not be running on any workstation.
- When installing with Workgroup Manager, make sure all workstations are checked in before you start upgrading.
Converting the data:
Data from earlier Allplan versions need to be converted to version 2019. Allplan 2019 automatically converts the data of a project you open. Click here for instructions on how to convert all projects in a single operation:
Click here for instructions on how to get your activation codes for Allplan IBD:
Why is Allplan running so slow?
Check the following points:
1. Current version
Make sure you work with the current Allplan version.
- Do the following or ask your system administrator to do this:
Open Allplan and click the ‘?’ icon in the upper right-hand corner. Click ‘Update Allplan’.
Select 'Find now'. If Allplan finds updates or hotfixes, download the installation packages.
- Deactivate the virus scanner while your are installing updates or hotfixes. This might require administrator privileges. Contact your system administrator if you have problems.
- Right-click the Allplan icon on the desktop. A shortcut menu opens.
Select ‘Run as administrator’ and click ‘Yes’ to confirm the following message.
As a result, Windows security settings do not block the installation.
2. System requirements:
Check the hardware and software required for your Allplan computer.
2.a)Download and run the system test.
Check the notes.
2.b)Check the Allplan system requirements:
2.c)You can find information about graphics cards at
2.d)You can find server operating systems you can use for the central file storage of Allplan at
3. Hotline tools:
Start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select ‘Hotline Tools’. To save your settings, select the following tools.
- savestd: Saves user defaults.
- savereg: Saves CAD registry settings.
Start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select the following ‘Hotline Tools’:
- cleanup: Initializes the display.
- cleanstd: Resets CAD defaults.
- cleanreg: Resets CAD registry settings.
Check whether this has solved the problems.
If this is not so, restore the settings you just saved. To do this, start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select the following ‘Hotline Tools’:
- reststd: Restores saved user defaults.
- restreg: Restores CAD registry settings.
4. Color scheme selected in Allplan:
Start Allplan, open the ‘View’ menu, point to ‘Toolbars’ and select ‘Customize User Interface’. Open the ‘Customize’ tab and set ‘Color scheme and icon design’ to ‘Windows’.
5. Check the availability of all projects that are not online (if you use Workgroup Manager):
Start Allplan, open the ‘File’ menu and select ‘New Project, Open Project’. Deactivate ‘Check availability of all offline projects’.
6. Virus scanner
Check whether an anti-virus program is running in the background of the computer or server.
If so, reduce protection to "programs only".
Scanning "all files" can take a long time, considerably slowing down your computer when you switch between projects or exit the program.
You can exclude the Allplan installation folders from real-time scanning.When you start the Services application, you can see a list of the folders to be excluded.
You can find more information at
Changes in the settings of the virus scanner only come into effect when you re-start the computer.
7. Aero desktop effects
Deactivate the Aero desktop effects of Windows.
To do this, open the Control Panel, select ‘Ease of Access’ and go to the ‘Make things on the screen easier to see’ area.
Select the ‘Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)’ option.
8. Name resolution on the network
If Allplan takes several minutes to start, name resolution on the network may not work.
To check this, do the following:
Right-click the Windows Start Button, select ‘Run’, type in ‘cmd’, click OK, type in ‘Nslookup’ and press ENTER.
Go to the line following the > character, type in the name of the Allplan data server and press ENTER.
The reply starts with the name and address of the server providing name resolution.
You can find the name and address of the Allplan data server in the second group.
If problems occur, contact your network administrator and ask him or her to configure name resolution correctly.
9. Speed of Allplan projects
Check whether some Allplan projects are slower than other Allplan projects.
Start with the empty project and check whether it is slow too.
After this, select any other Allplan project.
If it is only the current project that is slow, the problem may be caused by the data of the current project.
In this case, the data of this project must be analyzed in detail.
Contact technical support.
10. Network: checking out Allplan using Workgroup Manager
If you use Allplan with Workgroup Manager, you can check whether the problems are caused by the network. To do this, check out the workstation with the project in question and use the project on the local Allplan workstation.
You can find detailed information on checking out an Allplan workstation using Workgroup Manager in the
Services application. Open the ‘Help’ and select ‘Workgroup Manager’.
After you have checked out the workstation, Allplan no longer accesses the central file storage of the server.
If this has solved the problems, they are caused by the network. In this case, the network must be checked in detail.
Contact your network administrator and ask him or her to do this.
If the project is still slow, the problem may be caused by the data of the current project.
In this case, the data of this project must be analyzed in detail.
Contact technical support.
11. Log files and system information files
If all the points above do not solve the problems, technical support requires more system information about the computer running Allplan.
- So, we would be grateful if you could send us a support request (Allplan Hotinfo with Allplan logging).
To create a support request, start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select ‘Create support request (Hotinfo)’.
Several dialog boxes open. Select ‘Technical Support Allplan’ and ‘Enquiry with Allplan logging’. Enter all the data required. Finally, click ‘Finish’.
Another dialog box opens, prompting you to start Allplan. Click the ‘Start Allplan’ button.
Allplan starts, logging all processes.
Try to reproduce the problem as exactly as possible.
Exit Allplan as soon as possible, reducing the data in the log file to a minimum.
Then click ‘Next’ to generate the support request with the log file.
You can find more information about Hotinfo at
- To analyze the Windows system environment, we would ask you to send us the logs created by Windows Event Viewer of your computer.
To start Windows Event Viewer, right-click the Windows Start Button, select ‘Run’ and type in ‘eventvwr.msc’.
You can also type in ‘Event Viewer’ in the search box of Windows. This displays the link file to the Windows event logs.
Using Event Viewer, create *.evtx files for the application log and the system log in the ‘Windows Logs’ area and for the ‘Administrative Events’ log in the ‘Custom Views’ area.
Please send us the files.
How can I fix Allplan program data?
You can fix Allplan program data by renaming the program folders and installing an update.
Due to the new names, Allplan cannot find the resources during the update. Consequently, it creates new resources.
To fix Allplan program data, do the following:
You need the latest installation package for your version.
You can download this package from Allplan Connect (www.connect.allplan.com) or from our FTP server.
Accessing the FTP server:
Enter the following address in Windows Explorer (do not use Internet Explorer!):
You can find the installation packages in the following path:
Copy the zip file to the local computer and unzip the file.
- Open the Services application of the Allplan version you want to fix.
- Select Service -> Windows Explorer -> CAD program folder.
- Rename the "PRG" folder "PRG_OLD". If Windows Explorer tells you that a file is still in use, restart the computer and try again.
- Start the *.exe file of the installation package you just unzipped.
- Select "Update installation".
- When Setup prompts you for the license, select "Current license file" or "Use active license".
- Select "Minimum" for the Setup type.
Allplan gets new program resources during installation.
As soon as the installation is complete, you can test how Allplan behaves.
If you are not sure, give these instructions to your system administrator.
Keep in mind that you install the version of the installation package you downloaded. This means that you may have to reinstall any subsequent hotfixes.
I installed Allplan with Workgroup Manager on a new computer for the first time. When I start Allplan, I get the following message: The user profile "DOMAIN\user name" was not found. Temporarily, the profile of local will be used.
Therefore, I cannot access any project. What can I do?
You have logged in to the computer with a new Windows user who does not yet exist in Workgroup Manager administration of Allplan.
You need to add this new user to Workgroup Manager. To do this, log in as the administrator to the computer or use a different computer where a user has administrator privileges for Workgroup Manager.
Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Administrate users -> right-click -> Create user
For the "user name", you can enter any Allplan user name, which can be up to 8 characters long.
For the "Windows user name", you must enter the name the user uses for login.
Important: If the user uses a domain for login, you must add it to the "Windows user name", for example, DOMAIN\user.
There is one Allplan administrator and any number of normal Allplan users.
A Windows user with any login name becomes an Allplan administrator if you go to "User group" and
select "Administrator"on the dropdown menu. Using this approach, you can also assign administration privileges to existing users.
You must enter the email address and the password only if the user is notpart of the workgroup but needs access to online projects (Workgroup Online).
Important: Click "Apply" and then "OK" to close the dialog box and the user overview respectively.
After you have created the user as an Allplan user, do not forget to assign the relevant projects to this user. Otherwise, this user is not allowed to edit the projects.
To find out how to
make several projects available to users: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/0001cbd2.html
This document provides additional information on installing Allplan 2021.
We strongly recommend that you perform a complete data backup and archive this data before you upgrade to Allplan 2021!
Detailed installation instructions can be found in the following places:
- If you have downloaded and unpacked Allplan 2021, you will find the file install.chm in the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2021\HelpFiles\English
Please read these before installing Allplan 2021.
System requirements Allplan 2021
Licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2021
Extract from the installation instructions (see above)
If you want to switch from Allplan 2018/2019/2020 to Allplan 2021, you have three basic installation options.
1. New installation
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. No data and settings are transferred to the new installation.
The following options are available for transferring data later:
Uninstall Allplan 2021 and then upgrade Allplan 2018/2019/2020.
Integrating the data by hand (administrator knowledge required).
2. New installation with data copy from version
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. The office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) can be automatically copied from an existing version 2018/2019/2020 to the new installation folder.
In this way, you can create a duplicate dataset if necessary: all projects, standards and resources can be used in both Allplan 2021 and 2018/2019/2020. This allows you to test the transition to the new version in real life, while the existing Allplan installation remains fully functional.
Note, however, that this method of working should avoid parallel processing of data in both installations, as the subsequent merging is time-consuming.
2a. Continuation of new installation with data copy from version
This option is available if a new installation with data copy has already been performed on another computer accessing the same data server and therefore the data has already been transferred.
3. Upgrade with data transfer from version 2018/2019/2020
Allplan 2021 is installed in an existing folder. The existing installation of Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is converted to Allplan 2021 and all important settings are transferred (see also Limitations for Data Transfer). Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is then no longer available.
Any existing installations older than Allplan 2018 are not affected.
For network installations (shared 'central file storage folder'), only one main release version can be used - all workstations must be brought to Allplan 2021. Before starting the installation, make sure that all workstations have upgrade authorization. A mixed installation of different main versions is not technically approved. Complications that may arise are not covered by the maintenance contracts.
During the upgrade, no workstation may be running any version 2020, 2019 or 2018.
In case of an installation with Workgroupmanager all workstations must be checked in during the upgrade.
Data from older Allplan versions must be converted to version 2021. This happens automatically for projects opened in Allplan 2021. For instructions on how to convert all projects at once, click here:
How can I restore a lost building structure or layout structure?
To restore a lost or corrupt building structure or layout structure, you can do the following:
- Close Allplan.
- Open Windows Explorer, go to the central file storage folder of Allplan and open the "Prj"folder. Open the corresponding project folder and the "BIM" subfolder.
If the "Same folder name as project name" option is not selected for the project, a number is used for the folder name in the "Prj"folder. In this case, open the Services applicationand select the woprohotline tool (Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> wopro). Select the corresponding project by double-clicking its name. An information dialog box shows the folder and file name of the project.
- You can find an XML file for each structure in the BIM subfolder.
Objects derived from building structure:
Allplan_BIM_LevMo_"name of model".xml
- To restore the building structure from a backup, rename the existing file "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml" "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.old", for example.
- Switch to the "Backup"folder, which you can also find in the"BIM"folder.
- Select the most recent file that had been created beforethe building structure was deleted, for example, "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.27.5.2008--10-32-21.bak". The characters in bold indicate the date and time of the backup. Copy this file to the "BIM"folder.
- Rename this file by deleting the characters after ".xml". Now the file name is "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml".
- Restart Allplan. The last version of the building structure is displayed in the "Open on a project-specific basis"dialog box again.
Using Allplan 2009-2 and later, you can restore the layout structure from a *.bak file straight from the "Open on a project-specific basis: layouts"dialog box.
- Right-click the topmost structural level in the layout structure (project name) and select Load layout structure favoriteon the shortcut menu.
- Open the last version of the Allplan_BIM_LayoutStructure.xml file in the backup folder mentioned above.
If the *.bak files are not displayed, please follow the steps described above.
How can I set up Allplan Share? What are the requirements?
1)System requirementsfor Allplan Share
Allplan Version 2018 or higher
Network infrastructure required
A 20-Mbit/s Internet connection for downloading and uploading data
At least a 50-Mbit/s Internet connection for downloading and uploading data
You have two options to buy the Allplan Share option.
1. You can visit the Allplan Shop at ‘shop.allplan.com’.
Allplan Options -> Allplan Share
a. Specify how many licenses you want to buy and add the Allplan Share option to the cart.
b. Follow the instructions displayed and buy the Allplan Share option.
After you have bought the Allplan Share option, the licenses will be assigned to your Bimplus team. You can manage these licenses using ‘My Account’ - ‘Subscriptions and Users’.
2. You can contact the Allplan sales partner in your area.
3) Assigning licenses
Regardless of how you buy the Allplan Share option, you can manage the Allplan Share licenses in the Allplan Shop. Go to the ‘Subscriptions and Users’ area. As an alternative, you can also manage the licenses on the Bimplus portal. Here, go to the ‘Team members’ area.
Allplan Shop - ‘Subscriptions and Users’
1. Log in to the Allplan Shop and open ‘My Account’.
2. Click ‘Subscriptions and Users’ to see your licenses.
3. Select the Allplan Share option on the tab.
4. You can assign one or more Allplan Share licenses to team members. To do this, select the user in the list and assign the license by selecting the check box. You can remove the license at any time by clearing the check box.
If the list does not include the user to whom you want to assign a license, click ‘Invite new Bimplus team member’, enter the email address of the new team member and select a role.
As soon as the new team member has accepted the invitation, you can find this person in the list.
4) Using Allplan Share
To use the Allplan Share option, you require Allplan 2018. The Workgroup Manager option is not necessary.
Starting a project
You have three options to start an Allplan Share project:
1. You can create a new project and save it on Bimplus by setting the location to BIMPLUS. To create a Bimplus project with Allplan Share content, you require ‘Bimplus team owner’ or ‘Bimplus team admin’ privileges.
2. You can copy an existing Allplan project to Bimplus by selecting ‘Copy to’. You can then share this project with other project partners. This does not affect the source project.
3. You can move an existing Allplan project to Bimplus by selecting ‘Move to’. This moves the source project to Bimplus. As a result, this project is no longer available on the local computer or local network.
5) Managing users and assigning users to the project
Allplan Share is a cloud-based solution. Therefore, Allplan Share uses the Bimplus user management for project collaboration. As a result, Allplan Share is independent of local user management systems like Workgroup Manager.
After you have copied or moved an existing Allplan project to Bimplus, you must reassign the users to this project. Otherwise, they cannot access this project.
To define the project members, use the Bimplus project administration. In addition, you must invite new project members to the Bimplus project.
If these Bimplus project members are to use the Allplan Share option too, you must assign an Allplan Share license to each member in advance (as described in ‘3) Assigning licenses’).
Why does ProjectPilot open with the following error message:
"Unable to create ProjectPilot control. Is the registry correct?"
The reason for this is usually an "external path" that no longer exists. When you start ProjectPilot,
the program tries to access the "external path", which is stored in the Windows Registry.
If this path no longer exists, you will see the above error message.
To correct this error, please do the following:
- Services application
- Service menu
- Windows Explorer - CAD program folder
- The path to the "User folder" is displayed in the window of the Services application. Open it in Windows Explorer.
- Find the "extern.cfg"file in this user folder and delete this file.
Now try to start ProjectPilotagain. If the problem still occurs, please do the following:
Start the services application -> Service -> Windows Explorer -> CAD program folder.
Open the "PRG" folder.
Find the following file: "NemProjectPilot10.exe"
Right-click this file -> select "Run as administrator" on the shortcut menu.
ProjectPilot should now start.
Try to start ProjectPilotstraight from Allplan. If the problem is still not solved, please do the following:
- Services application
- Service menu
- Windows Explorer - CAD program folder
- The Allplan program folder opens.
- Rename the "PRG" subfolder "PRG_OLD".
- Start installing the program from the current Allplan DVD.
- Select "Update installation".
- Select "Current license file".
- Set the setup type to "Minimum".
After installation try to start ProjectPilotagain.