I want to run Allplan on a terminal server. Can I use any other terminal server than Citrix?
Microsoft terminal server or Horizon is not approved for Allplan.
In addition, running Allplan on a terminal server requires an Allplan license server for managing the Allplan licenses.
If you have only used stand-alone licenses until now, you must purchase the additional ‘license server’ option. Should you have any questions, please contact your sales partner.
VM Ware (Horizon) or RDP is not approved for Allplan. This means that you do not get any support for this constellation.
You may not have any problems with the current Allplan version. However, future developments will not take RDP or VM Ware into account. Consequently, this functionality may be limited or not available at all in future Allplan versions.
Citrix is the only terminal server that is approved for Allplan.
You can find information at
You have installed Allplan on several local workstations. Now you want to change the installation so that you can access a common network drive.
Before you switch to a network installation, it is essential that you back up all the data of all the workstations.
We strongly recommend that you take advantage of the expertise of Nemetschek’s technical support staff. We are happy to help you!
The following description shows how to change several workstations where Allplan is installed locally and the project data is also stored locally on each computer to workstations with a common network drive without Workgroup Manager.
1st - getting ready
Choose one of the workstations where you will install all the projects and the office standard (hereinafter referred to as the main workstation).
First, move all the projects to the main workstation.
1.a: copying resources into projects
To make sure that the projects in your office have a uniform appearance, change the path settings for the projects' resources to 'Project'.
Make the following setting for each project:
Allplan -> File menu -> ProjectPilot - Admin -> select the individual projects one after the other -> right mouse button -> Properties -> Settings tab
Set the path settings for 'Pen and line definitions', 'Fonts', 'Patterns, hatching styles, area styles', 'Bar and mesh cross-section catalogs', 'Layer structures, line styles, drawing types' and 'Attributes proposed' from 'Office' to 'Project', if necessary.
The corresponding elements are copied from the office standard directly to the project. This ensures that the project settings stay the same even when you copy the project to the new server with the new office standard.
1.b: same folder name as project name
Open the 'General' tab and select the 'Same folder name as project name' setting if you want to proceed as described in 2b.
1.c: pen color ("Color stands for pen")
The pen color for the "Color stands for pen" setting is a user-specific setting that is not saved in the project but in the user folder (...\Usr).
2.a: backing up projects of the individual workstations and importing them to the main workstation (recommended method):
Back up the individual projects. To do this, open the Services application and select Data Backup -> Create -> Entire folders -> Projects.
You can back up several projects in a single operation.
Before you start, specify the backup folder on the network or on the local hard disk: Services application -> Configuration -> Backup path ->Browse for Folder.
The next step is to import the saved projects to the main workstation.To do this, open theServices application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects Before you import the individual projects, you can create new Allplan projects at the main computer. As an alternative, you can also create a new project during the import.
2.b: backing up projects of the individual workstations and importing them to the main workstation (special approach):
This approach should only be used with good reason for exceptional cases as it requires in-depth knowledge of Windows.
With this method, Windows Explorer is used to import the projects to the main workstation.
If some project names exist twice, you need to rename these projects before you back them up.
You can then rename the existing 'project.dat' file in the Prj folder of the main workstation.
Next, select the Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> reorg -> Restore project management file.
The system creates a new project administration file (project.dat), which should list all projects with names.
Now the main workstation contains the latest version of all the projects of the office.
3rd - merging project defaults
Open ProjectPilot at the individual workstations and copy the elements you want to transfer (symbols, smart symbols, lists, schedules, and so on) to the external path. Of course, you can set the external path to a common network folder that can be accessed by all workstations.
Next, open ProjectPilot at the main workstation and copy the contents of the external path to the office standard.
4th - data backup
- Back up the projects, office standard and user settings at the main workstation:
You can also copy the ..\prj (projects), ..\std (office standard) and ..\usr (user folder) paths to a backup folder (Nemsic, for example) on the hard disk.
- In addition, you need to back up the ..\usr\local folder at every stand-alone computer.
- Export the user interface setting of each user to a file: Allplan -> Tools - > Customize .... -> Export...
5th - uninstalling
Remove Allplan from all workstations.
6th - reinstalling
Before you install the same version again, create and share a folder (Nemdata, for example) on the future data server. Create a subfolder - Allplan - in this folder.
The next step is to reinstall the same version on all the workstations.
Specify the following installation paths:
local (C:\Programs\Nemetschek\Allplan, for example)
Central file storage folder:
Browse -> Network...
Find the sharedNemdata folder and select the Allplan folder.
After this, start installing.
7th - testing the start and restoring the backup
After the installation (check whether Allplan starts), copy the ..\prj and ..\std folders you backed up from the main workstation to the new ...\Nemdata\Allplan server folder.
Next, use Windows Explorer to copy the contents of the former user folder (…\usr\local) of the stand-alone workstation to the new user folder of the computer you just installed.
8th - updating the project administration file
Go to the project.datfile in the ...\Nemdata\Allplan\Prjfolder and rename itproject.alt.After this, do the following:
Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> reorg -> Restore project management file.
9th - summary
Now all the workstations access a common network drive with the same project pool and office standard.
With this type of installation, only one user can access a project at any one time. If several users are to work on a project at the same time, you need to install Workgroup Manager.
I have received a license for my dongle. How can I install this license?
1. License on hard disk (or network drive)
Copy the license files to any folder, for example, C:\License, and select this folder when you install the license.
a. During setup
While installing Allplan, select the 'License file from any folder' option and choose the folder with the license files.
b. Installing a license later
To install the license, select
Services application -> Utilities -> License -> Install HARDLOCK License
A dialog box appears. Select the folder with the license files.
2. License by email
If you have received the license by email, save the attachment to any folder, for example, C:\License, and proceed as described in step 1.
If the licenses are compressed (*.zip), extract them first using an appropriate program, such as Winzip (www.winzip.de).
3. License on storage medium (CD or USB stick)
You can also copy the license files to a storage medium (USB stick, for example) or write them to a CD and then proceed as described in step 1b.
- If you have received a license for a license server, read the instructions in the documents for the license server. If any questions arise, contact technical support.
- Keep the license in a safe place as you may need it for future installations or if there are problems.
- Make sure you install the license that is appropriate to the dongle you use, as each license matches only a single dongle. time.
- Setup needs to access the license file(s) during the entire installation process. It is therefore not possible to read the license file(s) from a CD and then remove this CD during installation. You are advised to copy the license file(s) to a folder on the hard disk.
An error occurs during installation of hotfix 2015-1-11 or later. What can I do?
To install this and future Allplan 2015 hotfixes using auto-update, you must update the installation service. Requirement: Allplan 2015-1-10 is installed.
1. You can find a batch file attached to this FAQ. Save and extract this file and execute it on every Allplan workstation (right-click this file -> select "Run as administrator" on the shortcut menu...). The batch file looks for the "InstallAULService.exe" file in the local PRG folder of the Allplan installation and runs it as the administrator. This updates the installation service.
Be careful: this requires administrator privileges.
If your e-mail program blocks this file, you can also download it from our FTP server.
Enter the following address in WindowsExplorer (do not use Internet Explorer!):
2. Auto-update should now work as usual.
As an alternative, you can also install the full version of Allplan 1/12/2015. This also updates the installation service.
You can download the full version fromhttps://connect.allplan.com/deor from our FTP server:
To access our FTP server, you require a current Windows operating system. Do the following:
Enter the following address in Windows Explorer (do not use Internet Explorer!):
Download the corresponding ZIP file and extract it. Right-click the exe file and start it using "Run as administrator".
Install the update.
How can I move NemSLock License Server to a new server?
If you want to run NemSLock 2006 Server on a different or new server, you first need to render the license ineffective. For this, you still require the old server. After this, you need to contact Nemetschek Allplan Systems GmbH in order to activate the license for the new server.
As soon as you return the license, the status of the existing license is set to trial for 48 hours; then it will expire.
Note:Transfer the license to the new server while the old server is still available.
Do the following:
- At the new server:install NemSLock 2006 Server with the temporary license files provided with the program.
- At the clients:Exit Allplan on all workstations.
- At the old server:return the license(s). Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console, click "Stop server", switch to "Modules" and click "Transfer license permanently". Then select "Next" and "Create". Click the "Send" button to send the .hwchs file you just created to "email@example.com" (provided an email program is installed and configured on this server). Otherwise, click "Browse" to open the folder with the .hwchs file in Windows Explorer. Now you can use any computer to send this file to the address mentioned above.
Finally, click "Start server". The existing licenses are valid for two more days.
- At the clients:for the time being the clients can continue to work with the old license server.
- At the new server:After a few minutes, our server will send you an email confirming that the licenses have been returned. Now you can generate registration requests for all licenses. Next, install the licenses.
- At the clients:Now you can switch the clients one after the other to the new server. To do this, open the License Manager by clicking Start -> (All) Programs -> Nemetschek -> Nemetschek Softlock 2006 -> License Manager.
To transfer the existing users to the new server, back up the Users.mcf file, which you can find in the program folder of NemSLock 2006 Server, and copy this file to the new server after the installation. Prior to copying the file, stop the "NemSLock Server 2006" Windows service, copy the file to the program folder and start this service again.