Allplan does not react promptly or seems to hang after I have selected the "Open on a Project-Specific Basis" or "New Project, Open Project" tool.
One of the following virus scanners is running: Trendmicro, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avira, F-Prot and others.
What can I do to solve this problem?
Check whether updating the software of the virus scanner solves the problem.
If it doesn't, configure the real time scanner of the virus scanner so that it no longer scans the program folder and data folder of Allplan.
Start the Services application. Make a note of the following paths displayed in the Services application window:
General program data
Central file storage folder
Define these folders as exemptions in your virus scanner.
Bear in mind that virus scanners may be installed on the server and the clients (provided you work with a server).
For more information on the virus scanner, contact the manufacturer.
- Why can't I create elements?
- Why can't I move a drawing?
- Why are elements not created correctly?
- Why does the program crash when I import a DXF file from the land registry office?
- Why is the outline of a circumscribed area not detected correctly?
- Why can't I calculate shadows?
- Why are elements not displayed correctly in animation?
- Why are parts of dimension text missing?
- Why do the contents of the screen suddenly rotate?
- Why can't I get a preview when I move or copy elements?
- Why are areas not calculated correctly?
Finding the reason for these problems:
Check whether an offset is set in the project settings (File -> New Project, Open Project-> select the project and open the shortcut menu -> Properties; Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options ->Advanced Draft -> Settings). If there are offset coordinates, clear the check box.
Select Tools -> Measure(->)Coordinates.
Click in the middle of the drawing in plan view.
If there are very large values (for example, x/y/z greater than 5000 m), you have found the reason for these problems.
The system has problems calculating and displaying data with very large coordinates. The more data you have with very large coordinates, the greater this effect.
- Click Tools -> Options... -> Desktop environment -> Generaland select Optimize working with large coordinates(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options -> Global Options -> Miscellaneous tab -> Optimize working with large coordinates). After this you must restart Allplan. Otherwise, this setting has no effect.
This is a user setting you must define separately for each user.
- Usually, the best solution is to move the data towards the Allplan origin. Use the "Move" tool. When Allplan prompts you to specify the target point ("To point"), select Global point in the dialog line. You can find detailed information in the help for Allplan. Look for the Global pointtopic.
If the data are still not displayed correctly, do the following:
Exit Allplan -> Services application-> Service -> Hotline Tools-> cleanup -> start Allplan.
I purchased the license server. How can I install and configure the license server?
Allplan is using since version 2016 a new protection system. Licensing is based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG since then. You can no longer use NemSLock Server with Allplan 2016 and higher.
Allplan requires a Product Key. Using this key, you can activate your license online. The Product Key is a unique, 26-digit character string. You can use it to activate a license for Allplan.
You can find your Product Key in Allplan Connect. Go to http://connect.allplan.com/license
Note: The license is downwards compatible til version Allplan 2016-1-4 even if a higher version is displayed.
To install the license server, download the software for the license server from Allplan Connect
The Wibu license server is part of the CodeMeter driver, which is installed along with Allplan. If you have already installed Allplan on the license server, you do not have to install additional software. But you can also install the license server separately; you do not have to install Allplan.
In any case, install and activate the license server before you install Allplan on the clients.
You can activate a license in online mode only if you have ...
- Internet access
- a Product Key
- a license server license; you cannot use other licenses with the license server.
Installing the license server
- You must install the license server on a 64-bit Windows system.
- Start License Server Setup on the computer you want to use as the license server.
- Click Install.
- Start the license server by starting the License Settings program. Go to the License activation area, enter your Product Key and click Activate license.
- If you have more licenses for the license server, enter the respective Product Keys and activate the licenses.
- Afterwards, start CodeMeter Control Center.
To do this, use the Windows start menu and select CodeMeter -> CodeMeter Control Center. As an alternative, open Search by clicking the Search button on the Start screen: enter Codemeter and press ENTER. A dialog box opens. Click WebAdmin at bottom right.
Enter Localhost:22350in the address bar of your browser.
- Select Configuration -> Server -> Access server in the Network server area and click Activate.
- Click Apply.
Configuring the license server (optional)
You can use the CodeMeter WebAdmin application to administer the license server.
To start and stop the license server service, you can use CodeMeter Control Center.
- CodeMeter Control Center -> Action -> Start or Stop CodeMeter Service
By default, all users on the LAN, who have installed the CodeMeter driver, can use a license from the license server.
- Basic access control: you can enter a list of client computer names or IP addresses that are allowed to access the license server.
- Advanced access control: you can specify global access rules (for all licenses) to control access to the licenses.
To activate license tracking, you have to set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS\CodeMeter\Server\CurrentVersion\LogLicenseTracking registry entry to 1 and restart CodeMeter Service.
After having activated this key, you can use CodeMeter WebAdmin to create a report showing details about the licenses used over a specific period of time. To do this, open CodeMeter WebAdmin and go to the 'Server' - 'License Tracking' page. Select the period of time and the license for which you want to generate a report. Then click 'Create report'. If you click a single bar, you will get detailed analyses per day or per hour.
CodeMeter WebAdmin saves the reports to C:\ProgramData\CodeMeter\Logs.
Installing and configuring clients
Note for Version 2016: Install at least Allplan 2016-1-4 on the clients.
The license server license will be detected automatically on the network.
Install Allplan on the clients. When you are prompted to select the license file, click Use active license. Follow the installation instructions.
- You do not need to activatethe clients.
Allplan automatically finds the license server on the local network. If you have not selected a license, Allplan automatically selects the first available license.
After having installed Allplan on the clients, you can use the 'License Settings' dialog boxto configure license selection.
Services application -> Utilities -> License settings
- License activation: this area is not relevant to clients taking their license from the license server.
- License selection: use this section if you get the license from a license server or if you have several licenses and you want to select the preferred license.
- Start as a viewer: click this button if you want to start Allplan as a viewer.
You can see the names of the available licenses with their seat numbers.
The 'Available' column indicates how many licenses are still available. Click the dropdown arrow to see a list of users currently working with a license.
Select the check box in front of a license to select this license as a favorite. You can mark as many licenses as you want. Allplan will then prefer these licenses. Click to select one ore more licenses Allplan is not to use. If you do not select any license or if you have selected several favorites, Allplan will automatically use the first free license it finds.
Find license server automatically:
When you select this option, Allplan automatically detects a license server on the LAN. In some cases, such as VPN connections, Allplan may not be able to detect a server automatically. In this case, you can enter the server manually (see Additional server name).
Note: Only the Windows administrator can change this option.
Additional server name:
If 'Find license server automatically' is not active or Allplan has not automatically found a license server, you can manually enter the name or the IP address of the server. If 'Find license server automatically' is active, you can enter an additional server. After having entered the server name, click 'Update' to see the licenses of the license server. Use semicolons to separate several server names.
You can find detailed information on the license server in the License Settings help (F1 key).
Allplan communicates with the license server via TCP/IP. By default, communication is via Port 22350 unless you change the port in CodeMeter WebAdmin.
If a firewall is active on your computer, you must enable port 22350 for TCP and UDP. If the firewall filters in an application-specific manner, you have to enable the CodeMeter.exe license server service. You can find this service in the %Program Files (x86)%\CodeMeter\Runtime\bin Windows folder. Define the CodeMeter.exe service as an exception in the firewall. Some anti-virus programs also include firewall functions. If you are not sure, contact the manufacturer of the anti-virus program.
How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> email@example.com.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.
Allplan from version 2011
Parts of Allplan 2011 have been reprogrammed and are completely new. Allplan uses a graphics library, which has been developed especially for CAD programs and visualization tasks. Depending on the data type and application, the display speed of Allplan is much higher than that of earlier versions, and refresh operations are considerably shorter. What's more, you can create hidden line images in real time.
This new technology is not a one-to-one implementation of the software-based solution in the previous version. Instead, a hardware-based approach is used. When it comes to data processing, the graphics card takes on much of the work. The different behavior of these two technologies that may occur in some parts is inherent. Therefore, the resulting display and refresh operations may differ slightly from what you are used to.
General graphics card requirements for Allplan
To fully exploit hardware acceleration capabilities, you require an Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10 (chip-based) compatible graphics card with 512 MB or more memory. Although Windows XP does not support DirectX10, Allplan only requires the chip-based support of the graphics card to manage the graphics library. OpenGL 2.0 is used in 2D and in visualization windows. These changes employ the latest technology in graphic display, so selecting a capable graphics card, and using the proper drivers is essential.
For more information on graphics card specifications, go to:
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Graphic card manufacturers typically have different product lines targeted for "gamers" and "professional users". While the hardware setup is very similar in case of both cards, there are key differences in their firmware and driver. "Consumer-Level cards" (such as Nvidia GeForce and AMD/ATI Radeon) are optimized for 3D games and technologically designed for DirectX10, as speed is more important than image quality.
Typically a 3D model in a game contains a low number of polygons with textures applied to them, while in CAD applications polygon count is high, and the image quality of wireframe models or shaded models is more important than navigation speed. Also, professional cards' memory usage is optimized for using multiple application windows, while in gaming this is not relevant.
Another key difference between the two product lines is the way they are delivered and supported. Professional cards (such as Nvidia Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/PRO) are built according to the video chip manufacturer's references, so you can always be sure that the driver delivered by the video chip manufacturer (such as Nvidia or AMD/ATI) fits your card.
The manufacturers of Consumer-Level cards (such as ASUS, Sapphire, Gigabyte, PNY and so on) may diverge from the chip manufacturer's references, so their drivers may not be compatible with the chip manufacturer's reference driver. Also, the product life cycle and driver release cycles are much shorter in case of gaming cards, usually 6 months up to 1 year at most and a 1-year warranty period maximum.
Example: comparison of graphics cards
Professional graphics cards / workstation
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Professional graphics cards differ considerably from "Consumer-Level cards" for private users with regard to specific market segments with special requirements:
- Extensive application tests and certifications with CAD providers
- Optimized and advanced support for API as well as further developments
- Longer product life cycles and availability
- Direct product support
- Longer warranty period
Nemetschek Allplan GmbH cooperates with Nvidia und AMD to test graphics card drivers for the Nvidia FX Quadro/ Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/ Fire Pro series. These product lines are tested, certified and recommended for Allplan by Nemetschek Allplan Systems GmbH.
For more information on certified graphics cards, go to:
There are four different categories and areas:
|Graphics card||Application||Quality tests||Status|
|Gaming graphics cards||3D Games||Tested / not tested||Not recommended|
|Professional graphics cards||3D basis||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D high performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
Recommended graphics cards for laptops (Windows)
For reasons detailed above, we cannot recommend any specific card and driver combination for laptops. However, there are professional graphics cards available for high-end laptops such as NVidia FX Quadro & Quadro NVidia "M" or AMD/ATI FireGL & FirePro "Mobility".
These graphics cards are just as good as their desktop counterparts.
Laptops with Consumer-Level cards have been tested only briefly and cannot be recommended. We have had bad experience with on-board Intel graphics cards.
Graphics cards drivers for Apple Macintosh
Since Macs come with a default graphics card (on-board or gaming), and the drivers are bundled with system updates, we cannot recommend a specific card.
Graphics cards for MacOsX 10.6 (Leopard) or later and Boot Camp support Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10. Currently, there is only one series that is equipped with a professional graphics card: Mac Pro with NVidia FX4800 for Mac.
Notes for Allplan and Macintosh:
- There is no provision for a direct installation under Macintosh.
- Access to Windows must be straight from the Boot Camp installation.
- For performance reasons, Parallels Desktop cannot be used in conjunction with Nemetschek Allplan.
We kindly ask you to understand that Nemetschek Allplan cannot provide support for Boot Camp installations.
Installing graphics cards drivers (Windows)
Graphics cards only work properly if they have a hardware provider supplied driver (not system built-in driver) installed correctly. It may happen that remnants of a previous installation interfere with the current driver installation. If you experience display issues with the drivers listed below, please "clean-install" the driver again. "Clean-install" means removing all previous driver files before installing a new driver. Unfortunately, a simple uninstall may not efficiently remove all components of a driver. There are tools that can do it, like ATI's cat uninstaller or third-party tools like driver cleaner or driver cleaner pro 1.5.
Graphics card drivers for laptops (Windows)
In most cases, graphic card drivers for laptops are supplied by the laptop manufacturer, and graphic card provider supplied drivers will not install on laptops. This makes it practically impossible for us to test laptop graphics cards. If you are experiencing display issues with your laptop, and your supplier does not offer you a driver update, you might try - at your own risk - to tweak a desktop driver to work on your laptop. Note that this is obviously not encouraged by your laptop supplier.
How can I update cross-section catalogs or install country-specific cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later?
To install and save cross-section catalogs in Allplan 2011 and later, select Tools -> Defaults -> Cross-Section Catalogs. A dialog box opens. You can find a folder symbol and a disk symbol at bottom left.
To install cross-section catalogs, use the folder symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select the cross-section catalog file you want to install. Select the file to be installed and click "Open" to confirm. This installs the corresponding cross-section catalog, which you can now use in Allplan.
To install country-specific cross-section catalogs, select the "Ing" folder, which was created when you installed Allplan. You can find it in the Allplan installation path (e.g., c:\Nemetschek\Allplan 201x\New\Ing - more information on the Allplan installation path is provided below in the "Notes" section).
This folder includes the country-specify cross-section catalog files.
To save a custom cross-section catalog, use the disk symbol. Another dialog opens, where you can select any folder to save the cross-section catalogs currently used in Allplan.
To update cross-section catalogs, you may need administrator privileges. If necessary, log on as an administrator before you start the update.
To use the cross-section catalogs for a specific project only, set the path settings for the cross-section catalogs of this project to project before you install the cross-section catalogs. In Allplan, open the "File" menu and select "Open Project..." Click the corresponding project with the right mouse button. Select "Properties". A dialog box opens. In the "Path settings" area, set the "Bar and mesh cross-section catalogs" to "Project".
To determine the path where Allplan is installed, use the Services application and select Service -> Hotline Tools-> showcfg. The Services application window shows the path of the Allplan installation folder.
The following abbreviations are used for the country-specific cross-section catalogs in the file names (axyzqusr.txt):
tch Czech Republic
How can I permanently change the path settings presented for selection in specific tools (save, import)?
When you save, import and export elements or files, Allplan automatically proposes a specific folder where the data is saved or taken from.
You can specify which Allplan file type is saved in which folder. These folders are automatically presented in the "Save" dialog box of the relevant file type. However, you can change them at any time.
To set this proposed folder on an individual basis, do the following:
Select the Tools menu ->Options... -> Desktop environment(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options... -> Global Options-> "Settings"tab).
You can click thePAah setting sbutton to the right of Folders for savingto define defaults. You can choose Project, Private, Custom or Last for the path setting:
- Project: the file type is saved in the current project (not available for NDW and NPL files).
- Private: the file type is saved in the user's private project.
- Custom: you can specify any folder for the file type. To select the folder, click the path displayed in the Folder column and enter a new path or click ... in the Browse column and select the path in a dialog box.
- Last: the file type is saved in the path you selected last.
After I updated Windows (8 to 8.1; 8.1 to 10), Allplan only starts as a viewer. What can I do?
Windows update corrupts Nemetschek Softlock License Manager.
To fix Allplan, do the following:
You need the latest installation package for your version.
You can download this package from our webdrive
You can find the installation packages in the following path:
Copy the zip file to the local computer and unzip the file.
Start the installation and run an update use our temporary license file.
You can download the temporary license from Allplan Connect:
After the installation, you can open License Manager again (Services application -> Utilities -> License -> License Manager). Next, install the temporary license (*_psd.nslock): "Install - Install license"
Note: the status of the temporary license is set to "Expired".
Next, create a new registration request.
To generate a registration request, do the following:
Open License Manager (Services application -> Utilities -> License -> License Manager). Select the license entry for your seat and click "Request license".
Follow the instructions displayed on screen. Complete the form. Do not forget to enter your email address.
Check that the Client ID and CD Key are correct.
Send the registration request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I temporarily borrow a license for a client from the license server?
To borrow a license, do the following:
You cannot borrow licenses on the license server. You can do this only at the clients.
You can only borrow and return a license if the client is connected with the license server.
Computers that are not on the company network must use a VPN connection to access the server.
At the client:
- Open the 'License settings' dialog box: Services application -> Utilities -> License settings.
- Click License selectionon the left. Then click the license you want to borrow so that this license is highlighted in blue.
- If this license is a license server license, the Todayand Borrowbuttons in the 'Borrow license for:' area are no longer grayed out.
- The Todaybutton always shows the preset period of time. The default setting is Today. If you want to change the period of time, click the Todaybutton. You can then choose from various options.
Note: When you select 'Today', the license will be available again for all Allplan users on the server tomorrow.
When you select a number of days, borrowing will always be valid for 24 hours. For example, you borrow a license for 1 day and borrowing starts at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, the license will not be available on the server until 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The same applies to selecting days on the calendar.
- After having specified the correct period, click Borrowto borrow the license at once.
You can immediately see the borrowed license in the license selection below your computer name. Click the green information button to get details about this license. For example, you can see when the borrowed license will automatically be returned to the server.
- If you want to return the license to the server before the time period expires, click the license again so that it is highlighted in blue. The Return licensebutton is now available. Click Return licenseto immediately return the selected license to the server.
Which graphics cards are recommended for Allplan?
Follow this link to see a list of the AMD/ATI & NVidia graphics cards manufacturers that are CERTIFIED FOR ALLPLAN.
We have tested the OpenGL functionality and the animation performance of various Allplan modules with specially prepared data with each of the cards available.
The tested drivers can be found on the homepage of the individual manufacturer. The driver versions that were used in the tests are included in the tables so that you can compare the data. However, we strongly recommend that you always installthe current driver of the manufacturer.
It is a good idea to check your system using the system tool you can find on our homepage:
Allplan 2011 was revised completely for accelerated graphical representation.
To guarantee full performance support for Allplan 2011 and later, please check that your graphics cards meet the hardware requirements for DirectX 10 & OpenGL 2.0 (chip-based). In addition, you need to install the current drivers. Allplan will automatically switch to the conventional drawing method when it starts and finds old graphics cards that do not meet the requirements stated above.
For more information on graphics card specifications, go to
We kindly ask you to understand that products of other manufacturers that are not mentioned have not been tested and therefore cannot be recommended.