- Why can't I create elements?
- Why can't I move a drawing?
- Why are elements not created correctly?
- Why does the program crash when I import a DXF file from the land registry office?
- Why is the outline of a circumscribed area not detected correctly?
- Why can't I calculate shadows?
- Why are elements not displayed correctly in animation?
- Why are parts of dimension text missing?
- Why do the contents of the screen suddenly rotate?
- Why can't I get a preview when I move or copy elements?
- Why are areas not calculated correctly?
Finding the reason for these problems:
Check whether an offset is set in the project settings (File -> New Project, Open Project-> select the project and open the shortcut menu -> Properties; Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options ->Advanced Draft -> Settings). If there are offset coordinates, clear the check box.
Select Tools -> Measure(->)Coordinates.
Click in the middle of the drawing in plan view.
If there are very large values (for example, x/y/z greater than 5000 m), you have found the reason for these problems.
The system has problems calculating and displaying data with very large coordinates. The more data you have with very large coordinates, the greater this effect.
- Click Tools -> Options... -> Desktop environment -> Generaland select Optimize working with large coordinates(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options -> Global Options -> Miscellaneous tab -> Optimize working with large coordinates). After this you must restart Allplan. Otherwise, this setting has no effect.
This is a user setting you must define separately for each user.
- Usually, the best solution is to move the data towards the Allplan origin. Use the "Move" tool. When Allplan prompts you to specify the target point ("To point"), select Global point in the dialog line. You can find detailed information in the help for Allplan. Look for the Global pointtopic.
If the data are still not displayed correctly, do the following:
Exit Allplan -> Services application-> Service -> Hotline Tools-> cleanup -> start Allplan.
This document provides additional information on installing Allplan 2021.
We strongly recommend that you perform a complete data backup and archive this data before you upgrade to Allplan 2021!
Detailed installation instructions can be found in the following places:
- If you have downloaded and unpacked Allplan 2021, you will find the file install.chm in the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2021\HelpFiles\English
Please read these before installing Allplan 2021.
System requirements Allplan 2021
Licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2021
Extract from the installation instructions (see above)
If you want to switch from Allplan 2018/2019/2020 to Allplan 2021, you have three basic installation options.
1. New installation
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. No data and settings are transferred to the new installation.
The following options are available for transferring data later:
Uninstall Allplan 2021 and then upgrade Allplan 2018/2019/2020.
Integrating the data by hand (administrator knowledge required).
2. New installation with data copy from version
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. The office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) can be automatically copied from an existing version 2018/2019/2020 to the new installation folder.
In this way, you can create a duplicate dataset if necessary: all projects, standards and resources can be used in both Allplan 2021 and 2018/2019/2020. This allows you to test the transition to the new version in real life, while the existing Allplan installation remains fully functional.
Note, however, that this method of working should avoid parallel processing of data in both installations, as the subsequent merging is time-consuming.
2a. Continuation of new installation with data copy from version
This option is available if a new installation with data copy has already been performed on another computer accessing the same data server and therefore the data has already been transferred.
3. Upgrade with data transfer from version 2018/2019/2020
Allplan 2021 is installed in an existing folder. The existing installation of Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is converted to Allplan 2021 and all important settings are transferred (see also Limitations for Data Transfer). Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is then no longer available.
Any existing installations older than Allplan 2018 are not affected.
For network installations (shared 'central file storage folder'), only one main release version can be used - all workstations must be brought to Allplan 2021. Before starting the installation, make sure that all workstations have upgrade authorization. A mixed installation of different main versions is not technically approved. Complications that may arise are not covered by the maintenance contracts.
During the upgrade, no workstation may be running any version 2020, 2019 or 2018.
In case of an installation with Workgroupmanager all workstations must be checked in during the upgrade.
Data from older Allplan versions must be converted to version 2021. This happens automatically for projects opened in Allplan 2021. For instructions on how to convert all projects at once, click here:
I purchased the license server. How can I install and configure the license server?
Allplan is using since version 2016 a new protection system. Licensing is based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG since then. You can no longer use NemSLock Server with Allplan 2016 and higher.
Allplan requires a Product Key. Using this key, you can activate your license online. The Product Key is a unique, 26-digit character string. You can use it to activate a license for Allplan.
You can find your Product Key in Allplan Connect. Go to http://connect.allplan.com/license
Note: The license is downwards compatible til version Allplan 2016-1-4 even if a higher version is displayed.
To install the license server, download the software for the license server from Allplan Connect
or from our FTP server:
The Wibu license server is part of the CodeMeter driver, which is installed along with Allplan. If you have already installed Allplan on the license server, you do not have to install additional software. But you can also install the license server separately; you do not have to install Allplan.
In any case, install and activate the license server before you install Allplan on the clients.
You can activate a license in online mode only if you have ...
- Internet access
- a Product Key
- a license server license; you cannot use other licenses with the license server.
Installing the license server
- You must install the license server on a 64-bit Windows system.
- Start License Server Setup on the computer you want to use as the license server.
- Click Install.
- Start the license server by starting the License Settings program. Go to the License activation area, enter your Product Key and click Activate license.
- If you have more licenses for the license server, enter the respective Product Keys and activate the licenses.
- Afterwards, start CodeMeter Control Center.
To do this, use the Windows start menu and select CodeMeter -> CodeMeter Control Center. As an alternative, open Search by clicking the Search button on the Start screen: enter Codemeter and press ENTER. A dialog box opens. Click WebAdmin at bottom right.
Enter Localhost:22350in the address bar of your browser.
- Select Configuration -> Server -> Access server in the Network server area and click Activate.
- Click Apply.
Configuring the license server (optional)
You can use the CodeMeter WebAdmin application to administer the license server.
To start and stop the license server service, you can use CodeMeter Control Center.
- CodeMeter Control Center -> Action -> Start or Stop CodeMeter Service
By default, all users on the LAN, who have installed the CodeMeter driver, can use a license from the license server.
- Basic access control: you can enter a list of client computer names or IP addresses that are allowed to access the license server.
- Advanced access control: you can specify global access rules (for all licenses) to control access to the licenses.
To activate license tracking, you have to set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS\CodeMeter\Server\CurrentVersion\LogLicenseTracking registry entry to 1 and restart CodeMeter Service.
After having activated this key, you can use CodeMeter WebAdmin to create a report showing details about the licenses used over a specific period of time. To do this, open CodeMeter WebAdmin and go to the 'Server' - 'License Tracking' page. Select the period of time and the license for which you want to generate a report. Then click 'Create report'. If you click a single bar, you will get detailed analyses per day or per hour.
CodeMeter WebAdmin saves the reports to C:\ProgramData\CodeMeter\Logs.
Installing and configuring clients
Note for Version 2016: Install at least Allplan 2016-1-4 on the clients.
The license server license will be detected automatically on the network.
Install Allplan on the clients. When you are prompted to select the license file, click Use active license. Follow the installation instructions.
- You do not need to activatethe clients.
Allplan automatically finds the license server on the local network. If you have not selected a license, Allplan automatically selects the first available license.
After having installed Allplan on the clients, you can use the 'License Settings' dialog boxto configure license selection.
Services application -> Utilities -> License settings
- License activation: this area is not relevant to clients taking their license from the license server.
- License selection: use this section if you get the license from a license server or if you have several licenses and you want to select the preferred license.
- Start as a viewer: click this button if you want to start Allplan as a viewer.
You can see the names of the available licenses with their seat numbers.
The 'Available' column indicates how many licenses are still available. Click the dropdown arrow to see a list of users currently working with a license.
Select the check box in front of a license to select this license as a favorite. You can mark as many licenses as you want. Allplan will then prefer these licenses. Click to select one ore more licenses Allplan is not to use. If you do not select any license or if you have selected several favorites, Allplan will automatically use the first free license it finds.
Find license server automatically:
When you select this option, Allplan automatically detects a license server on the LAN. In some cases, such as VPN connections, Allplan may not be able to detect a server automatically. In this case, you can enter the server manually (see Additional server name).
Note: Only the Windows administrator can change this option.
Additional server name:
If 'Find license server automatically' is not active or Allplan has not automatically found a license server, you can manually enter the name or the IP address of the server. If 'Find license server automatically' is active, you can enter an additional server. After having entered the server name, click 'Update' to see the licenses of the license server. Use semicolons to separate several server names.
You can find detailed information on the license server in the License Settings help (F1 key).
Allplan communicates with the license server via TCP/IP. By default, communication is via Port 22350 unless you change the port in CodeMeter WebAdmin.
If a firewall is active on your computer, you must enable port 22350 for TCP and UDP. If the firewall filters in an application-specific manner, you have to enable the CodeMeter.exe license server service. You can find this service in the %Program Files (x86)%\CodeMeter\Runtime\bin Windows folder. Define the CodeMeter.exe service as an exception in the firewall. Some anti-virus programs also include firewall functions. If you are not sure, contact the manufacturer of the anti-virus program.
A new computer is to replace the existing one.
How can I transfer the existing data and settings of the existing Allplan installation to the new computer?
Please note that this solution only works with stand-alone versions.
Install the same version of Allplan on the new computer and transfer the data as follows:
1st - transferring the data:
Transfer the following folders from the old computer to the new one:
Project folder (PRJ)
Office standard folder (STD) and
User folder (USR)
You can determine the path to these folders on both the new computer and the old computer as follows:
Services application->Service->Hotline Tools->Showcfg: shows system variables ->OK
You can find the paths to the folders after PRJ, STD and USR.
2nd - transferring the toolbar configuration:
Export the configurations from the old computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Export...
You can then import the configurations to the new computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Import...
I just installed an upgrade. How can I convert all the projects at once?
Back up all the projects beforehand!
Do the following:
- Exit Allplan on all workstations.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Log in as the Allplan administrator (sysadm).
- Start the Services application.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Make sure all the computers where projects are located are up and running.
To check this, select:
Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Information -> Display Project List(the second column displays the computer where the project is located).
- Go to the computer where you want to convert the data and set the drawing file size to the maximum value:
Services application->Service ->Hotline Tools->docsize ->512 (or 1024, if available) ->OK
After data conversion, you can set the drawing file size back to the initial value.
- Start converting the data (use the computer where you have changed the drawing file size):
Services application ->Service ->Hotline Tools -> datwaprjs: convert data of all projects
If you reply "Yes" at the following two prompts, the program will convert the data of all projects.
The time it takes to convert the data depends on various factors:
- Number of projects
- Size of each project
- Performance of the computer converting the data
- Network performance
It is possible to start data conversion from several workstations at the same time.
How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> email@example.com.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.
This document provides further information on installing Allplan 2019.
Backing up and archiving data:
We strongly recommend that you back up and archive all your data before you upgrade to Allplan 2019.
How to install
You can find detailed instructions on how to install Allplan 2019 in the following places:
- After you have downloaded and unzipped Allplan 2019, you can find the ‘install.chm’ file in the following folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2019\HelpFiles\English.
- Use the following link:
https://webdrive.allplan.com/s/4LrjrymoxESzC6p and open the General\Installation help\2019 folder.
Please read these instructions before you install Allplan 2019.
System requirements for Allplan 2019
How to handle licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2019
Some notes on installing Allplan 2019
If you want to switch from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019, you can choose between three installation options. We recommend using the second option: first-time installation and copy data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
1. First-time installation
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). Setup does not transfer any data or settings to the new installation.
If you want to transfer data later, you have the following options:
You can uninstall Allplan 2019 and then upgrade from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
You can integrate the data manually (requires administrative knowledge).
2. First-time installation and copy data from version
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). You can configure Setup to automatically copy the office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to the new installations folder.
This duplicates the data: You can use all projects, defaults and resources both in Allplan 2018 and in Allplan 2016/2017/2016. This way, you can test the new version without losing your 'old' Allplan version.
Bear in mind, though, that you should not mix data from different versions. Merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
2a. Continue with first-time installation and copy data from version
This option is available when you have already used the second installation option to install <Product_Version> to a computer that accesses the same data server. As a result, the data are already available.
3. Upgrade and transfer data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018
This option installs Allplan 2019 to an existing folder, converting Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019 and transferring all important settings. Afterwards, you can no longer work with Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
This does nor affect earlier Allplan versions (Allplan 2015 or earlier).
Installing on a network:
- If you work in a network environment (one common central file storage folder), you must upgrade all workstations to Allplan 2019. Beforeyou start installing, make sure that all workstations can be upgraded. For technical reasons, it is not possible to mix installations of different major releases. Any related problems area not covered by service contracts.
- During the upgrade, Allplan 2016/2017/2018 must not be running on any workstation.
- When installing with Workgroup Manager, make sure all workstations are checked in before you start upgrading.
Converting the data:
Data from earlier Allplan versions need to be converted to version 2019. Allplan 2019 automatically converts the data of a project you open. Click here for instructions on how to convert all projects in a single operation:
Click here for instructions on how to get your activation codes for Allplan IBD:
What are the differences between a major release, a service release and a hotfix?
The major release is the first release of a new version.
You can download it from the homepage.
www.connect.allplan.com -> Download -> Software packages
(requires login details for Allplan Connect)
A service release is a collection of improvements to the program, including all the service releases and hotfixes that have been released until now. In addition to improvements, it may also include new features.
You can also use a service release for a new installation or an upgrade (from a previous version).
You can download it from the homepage.
New customers get it as a DVD. Serviceplus customers get it on request.
In addition, they automatically get information about service releases.
www.connect.allplan.com -> Download -> Software packages
(requires login details for Allplan Connect)
A hotfix is an improvement to the program that will automatically be installed by Allplan Update.
The basis for the installation is a specific major release or service release.
Hotfixes are installed one after the other in the correct order, that is to say, first Hotfix 2015-1-1 and then Hotfix 2015-1-2.
Allplan automatically installs available hotfixes when it starts.
You can find more information on hotfixes in the following FAQ:
Install program updates as soon as they are available.
Why is Allplan running so slow?
Check the following points:
1. Current version
Make sure you work with the current Allplan version.
- Do the following or ask your system administrator to do this:
Open Allplan and click the ‘?’ icon in the upper right-hand corner. Click ‘Update Allplan’.
Select 'Find now'. If Allplan finds updates or hotfixes, download the installation packages.
- Deactivate the virus scanner while your are installing updates or hotfixes. This might require administrator privileges. Contact your system administrator if you have problems.
- Right-click the Allplan icon on the desktop. A shortcut menu opens.
Select ‘Run as administrator’ and click ‘Yes’ to confirm the following message.
As a result, Windows security settings do not block the installation.
2. System requirements:
Check the hardware and software required for your Allplan computer.
2.a)Download and run the system test.
Check the notes.
2.b)Check the Allplan system requirements:
2.c)You can find information about graphics cards at
2.d)You can find server operating systems you can use for the central file storage of Allplan at
3. Hotline tools:
Start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select ‘Hotline Tools’. To save your settings, select the following tools.
- savestd: Saves user defaults.
- savereg: Saves CAD registry settings.
Start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select the following ‘Hotline Tools’:
- cleanup: Initializes the display.
- cleanstd: Resets CAD defaults.
- cleanreg: Resets CAD registry settings.
Check whether this has solved the problems.
If this is not so, restore the settings you just saved. To do this, start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select the following ‘Hotline Tools’:
- reststd: Restores saved user defaults.
- restreg: Restores CAD registry settings.
4. Color scheme selected in Allplan:
Start Allplan, open the ‘View’ menu, point to ‘Toolbars’ and select ‘Customize User Interface’. Open the ‘Customize’ tab and set ‘Color scheme and icon design’ to ‘Windows’.
5. Check the availability of all projects that are not online (if you use Workgroup Manager):
Start Allplan, open the ‘File’ menu and select ‘New Project, Open Project’. Deactivate ‘Check availability of all offline projects’.
6. Virus scanner
Check whether an anti-virus program is running in the background of the computer or server.
If so, reduce protection to "programs only".
Scanning "all files" can take a long time, considerably slowing down your computer when you switch between projects or exit the program.
You can exclude the Allplan installation folders from real-time scanning.When you start the Services application, you can see a list of the folders to be excluded.
You can find more information at
Changes in the settings of the virus scanner only come into effect when you re-start the computer.
7. Aero desktop effects
Deactivate the Aero desktop effects of Windows.
To do this, open the Control Panel, select ‘Ease of Access’ and go to the ‘Make things on the screen easier to see’ area.
Select the ‘Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)’ option.
8. Name resolution on the network
If Allplan takes several minutes to start, name resolution on the network may not work.
To check this, do the following:
Right-click the Windows Start Button, select ‘Run’, type in ‘cmd’, click OK, type in ‘Nslookup’ and press ENTER.
Go to the line following the > character, type in the name of the Allplan data server and press ENTER.
The reply starts with the name and address of the server providing name resolution.
You can find the name and address of the Allplan data server in the second group.
If problems occur, contact your network administrator and ask him or her to configure name resolution correctly.
9. Speed of Allplan projects
Check whether some Allplan projects are slower than other Allplan projects.
Start with the empty project and check whether it is slow too.
After this, select any other Allplan project.
If it is only the current project that is slow, the problem may be caused by the data of the current project.
In this case, the data of this project must be analyzed in detail.
Contact technical support.
10. Network: checking out Allplan using Workgroup Manager
If you use Allplan with Workgroup Manager, you can check whether the problems are caused by the network. To do this, check out the workstation with the project in question and use the project on the local Allplan workstation.
You can find detailed information on checking out an Allplan workstation using Workgroup Manager in the
Services application. Open the ‘Help’ and select ‘Workgroup Manager’.
After you have checked out the workstation, Allplan no longer accesses the central file storage of the server.
If this has solved the problems, they are caused by the network. In this case, the network must be checked in detail.
Contact your network administrator and ask him or her to do this.
If the project is still slow, the problem may be caused by the data of the current project.
In this case, the data of this project must be analyzed in detail.
Contact technical support.
11. Log files and system information files
If all the points above do not solve the problems, technical support requires more system information about the computer running Allplan.
- So, we would be grateful if you could send us a support request (Allplan Hotinfo with Allplan logging).
To create a support request, start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select ‘Create support request (Hotinfo)’.
Several dialog boxes open. Select ‘Technical Support Allplan’ and ‘Enquiry with Allplan logging’. Enter all the data required. Finally, click ‘Finish’.
Another dialog box opens, prompting you to start Allplan. Click the ‘Start Allplan’ button.
Allplan starts, logging all processes.
Try to reproduce the problem as exactly as possible.
Exit Allplan as soon as possible, reducing the data in the log file to a minimum.
Then click ‘Next’ to generate the support request with the log file.
You can find more information about Hotinfo at
- To analyze the Windows system environment, we would ask you to send us the logs created by Windows Event Viewer of your computer.
To start Windows Event Viewer, right-click the Windows Start Button, select ‘Run’ and type in ‘eventvwr.msc’.
You can also type in ‘Event Viewer’ in the search box of Windows. This displays the link file to the Windows event logs.
Using Event Viewer, create *.evtx files for the application log and the system log in the ‘Windows Logs’ area and for the ‘Administrative Events’ log in the ‘Custom Views’ area.
Please send us the files.
How can I fix Allplan program data?
You can fix Allplan program data by renaming the program folders and installing an update.
Due to the new names, Allplan cannot find the resources during the update. Consequently, it creates new resources.
To fix Allplan program data, do the following:
You need the latest installation package for your version.
You can download this package from Allplan Connect (www.connect.allplan.com) or from our FTP server.
Accessing the FTP server:
Enter the following address in Windows Explorer (do not use Internet Explorer!):
You can find the installation packages in the following path:
Copy the zip file to the local computer and unzip the file.
- Open the Services application of the Allplan version you want to fix.
- Select Service -> Windows Explorer -> CAD program folder.
- Rename the "PRG" folder "PRG_OLD". If Windows Explorer tells you that a file is still in use, restart the computer and try again.
- Start the *.exe file of the installation package you just unzipped.
- Select "Update installation".
- When Setup prompts you for the license, select "Current license file" or "Use active license".
- Select "Minimum" for the Setup type.
Allplan gets new program resources during installation.
As soon as the installation is complete, you can test how Allplan behaves.
If you are not sure, give these instructions to your system administrator.
Keep in mind that you install the version of the installation package you downloaded. This means that you may have to reinstall any subsequent hotfixes.