Allplan from version 2011
Parts of Allplan 2011 have been reprogrammed and are completely new. Allplan uses a graphics library, which has been developed especially for CAD programs and visualization tasks. Depending on the data type and application, the display speed of Allplan is much higher than that of earlier versions, and refresh operations are considerably shorter. What's more, you can create hidden line images in real time.
This new technology is not a one-to-one implementation of the software-based solution in the previous version. Instead, a hardware-based approach is used. When it comes to data processing, the graphics card takes on much of the work. The different behavior of these two technologies that may occur in some parts is inherent. Therefore, the resulting display and refresh operations may differ slightly from what you are used to.
General graphics card requirements for Allplan
To fully exploit hardware acceleration capabilities, you require an Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10 (chip-based) compatible graphics card with 512 MB or more memory. Although Windows XP does not support DirectX10, Allplan only requires the chip-based support of the graphics card to manage the graphics library. OpenGL 2.0 is used in 2D and in visualization windows. These changes employ the latest technology in graphic display, so selecting a capable graphics card, and using the proper drivers is essential.
For more information on graphics card specifications, go to:
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Graphic card manufacturers typically have different product lines targeted for "gamers" and "professional users". While the hardware setup is very similar in case of both cards, there are key differences in their firmware and driver. "Consumer-Level cards" (such as Nvidia GeForce and AMD/ATI Radeon) are optimized for 3D games and technologically designed for DirectX10, as speed is more important than image quality.
Typically a 3D model in a game contains a low number of polygons with textures applied to them, while in CAD applications polygon count is high, and the image quality of wireframe models or shaded models is more important than navigation speed. Also, professional cards' memory usage is optimized for using multiple application windows, while in gaming this is not relevant.
Another key difference between the two product lines is the way they are delivered and supported. Professional cards (such as Nvidia Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/PRO) are built according to the video chip manufacturer's references, so you can always be sure that the driver delivered by the video chip manufacturer (such as Nvidia or AMD/ATI) fits your card.
The manufacturers of Consumer-Level cards (such as ASUS, Sapphire, Gigabyte, PNY and so on) may diverge from the chip manufacturer's references, so their drivers may not be compatible with the chip manufacturer's reference driver. Also, the product life cycle and driver release cycles are much shorter in case of gaming cards, usually 6 months up to 1 year at most and a 1-year warranty period maximum.
Example: comparison of graphics cards
Professional graphics cards / workstation
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Professional graphics cards differ considerably from "Consumer-Level cards" for private users with regard to specific market segments with special requirements:
- Extensive application tests and certifications with CAD providers
- Optimized and advanced support for API as well as further developments
- Longer product life cycles and availability
- Direct product support
- Longer warranty period
Nemetschek Allplan GmbH cooperates with Nvidia und AMD to test graphics card drivers for the Nvidia FX Quadro/ Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/ Fire Pro series. These product lines are tested, certified and recommended for Allplan by Nemetschek Allplan Systems GmbH.
For more information on certified graphics cards, go to:
There are four different categories and areas:
|Graphics card||Application||Quality tests||Status|
|Gaming graphics cards||3D Games||Tested / not tested||Not recommended|
|Professional graphics cards||3D basis||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D high performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
Recommended graphics cards for laptops (Windows)
For reasons detailed above, we cannot recommend any specific card and driver combination for laptops. However, there are professional graphics cards available for high-end laptops such as NVidia FX Quadro & Quadro NVidia "M" or AMD/ATI FireGL & FirePro "Mobility".
These graphics cards are just as good as their desktop counterparts.
Laptops with Consumer-Level cards have been tested only briefly and cannot be recommended. We have had bad experience with on-board Intel graphics cards.
Graphics cards drivers for Apple Macintosh
Since Macs come with a default graphics card (on-board or gaming), and the drivers are bundled with system updates, we cannot recommend a specific card.
Graphics cards for MacOsX 10.6 (Leopard) or later and Boot Camp support Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10. Currently, there is only one series that is equipped with a professional graphics card: Mac Pro with NVidia FX4800 for Mac.
Notes for Allplan and Macintosh:
- There is no provision for a direct installation under Macintosh.
- Access to Windows must be straight from the Boot Camp installation.
- For performance reasons, Parallels Desktop cannot be used in conjunction with Nemetschek Allplan.
We kindly ask you to understand that Nemetschek Allplan cannot provide support for Boot Camp installations.
Installing graphics cards drivers (Windows)
Graphics cards only work properly if they have a hardware provider supplied driver (not system built-in driver) installed correctly. It may happen that remnants of a previous installation interfere with the current driver installation. If you experience display issues with the drivers listed below, please "clean-install" the driver again. "Clean-install" means removing all previous driver files before installing a new driver. Unfortunately, a simple uninstall may not efficiently remove all components of a driver. There are tools that can do it, like ATI's cat uninstaller or third-party tools like driver cleaner or driver cleaner pro 1.5.
Graphics card drivers for laptops (Windows)
In most cases, graphic card drivers for laptops are supplied by the laptop manufacturer, and graphic card provider supplied drivers will not install on laptops. This makes it practically impossible for us to test laptop graphics cards. If you are experiencing display issues with your laptop, and your supplier does not offer you a driver update, you might try - at your own risk - to tweak a desktop driver to work on your laptop. Note that this is obviously not encouraged by your laptop supplier.
Does Allplan create backup files (*.bak)?
How can I use these files?
Allplan creates backup files when you do the following:
- Copy, Move Elements between Documents …
Allplan creates a backup file of the destination drawing file or layout.
- Deleting drawing files and layoutsin the "Open on a project-specific basis" dialog box
If you have selected "Create backup copies of drawing files", Allplan creates a backup file of the drawing file or layout.
- Importing data to drawing files
If you have selected "Create backup copies of drawing files", Allplan creates a backup file of the drawing file.
Note on points 2 and 3:
To select the "Create backup copies of drawing files" option, click
Tools -> Options -> Desktop environment -> Save/load area (until V2009 Global Options -> Miscellaneous -> Autosave, Backup)->Create backup copies of drawing files.
If need be, you can restore the original drawing file or layout.
Make a note of the drawing file number or layout number and determine the corresponding project folder as follows:
Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> wopro
Open this folder in Windows Explorer.
Rename the corresponding drawing file "tb000001.ndw" "tb000001.ndw.old" or the corresponding layout "pb000001.000" "pb000001.000.old.", for example.
Delete the bak extension from the corresponding bak file.
You have inadvertently copied the wrong elements to drawing file 4711.
1st step: exit the project in Allplan.
2nd step: delete file tb004711.ndw or rename it tb004711.ndw.old.
3rd step: find file tb004711.ndw.bak and rename it tb004711.ndw.
You have inadvertently copied the wrong elements to layout 815.
1st step: exit the project in Allplan.
2nd step: delete file pb000815.000 or rename it pb000815.000.old.
3rd step: find file pb000815.000.bak and rename it pb000815.000.
These backup files can considerably increase the volume of data to be backed up. So it is a good idea to delete the .bak files you no longer require before you start backing up data. To delete the .bak files, you can select the Services application and click Utilities -> Delete temporary files.
You can also find this information in the help for Allplan. Please refer to the topic "Using bak files".
How can I move NemSLock Server to a new server?
Reinstalling NemSLock Server
- Start the Setup program for NemSLock Server. You can find the latest Setup program on our FTP server:
- Select one of the temporary license files for NemSLock server (for example, 1234567a_001_psd.nslsrv). These licenses are valid for 30 days. However, each license includes only one seat of each configuration purchased. The full number of seats purchased will be available to you as soon as you have installed the registered licenses (see below). If you purchased a configuration for one seat only, you will, of course, receive only one temporary license.
- When you opt for the “Custom” setup type, you can choose between the following program features:
You can use this program to administer NemSLock Server. The console can be installed on several workstations. This way, you can administer the server from a number of different locations. However, you can only connect one console to the server at any one time.
The actual license server.
This tool analyzes the log files of NemSLock Server.
User List Generator
You can use this tool to create the users for NemSLock Server from a text file or based on a server.
By default, Setup installs all these features.
- If your license includes configurations for several seats, you need to install the additional temporary license files for NemSLock server after the installation (see below).
Transferring the user administration from the old server (if users are available)
- You can find the user administration in the program folder of the license server. Copy the "users.mcf" file to the program folder of the new license server.
- Stop the license server service on the new server before you copy the file. To do this, start the "stopService.bat" program, which is also in the program folder of the license server.
- After copying, start the license server service again. To do this, use the "startService.bat" program.
Returning the registered licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console on the old server by clicking the icon on the desktop or Start -> (All) Programs -> NemSLock 2006 Server -> NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Stop server".
- Click "Modules".
- Click "Transfer license permanently".
- Confirm the following dialog boxes. Click “Browse”.Windows Explorer starts and opens the folder with the hcws-format file. Now you can use all the options provided by Windows Explorer: for example, you can attach the file to an email, copy it to a computer with Internet access and so on.Send this file by email to email@example.com.
- We will send you an email, confirming that we have received the licenses.
- You always have to return all licenses.
- After you have done this, they are only valid for two more days.
Registering the license(s) on the new server
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console on the new license server.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Select the seat you want to register. If your license contains configurations for several seats, read the notes further down.
- Click "Registration request (register.txt)".
- Click "Edit".
- Fill out all fields marked with an asterisk (*). Make sure you enter your email address correctly, because the registered license file will be sent to this address (and not to the address of the person who sent the registration request!). Click OK to confirm.
- Click "Create registration request".Windows Explorer starts and opens the folder with the "register.txt" file. Now you can use all the options provided by Windows Explorer: for example, you can attach the file to an email, copy it to a computer with Internet access and so on.Send the registration request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your license includes configurations for several seats, you must send a separate registration request for each seat. You will then receive a registered license file for each seat. You must install each file.
How to install licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Stop server" on the left.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Click ”Browse” to navigate to the registered license file.
- Click "Install license file".
- After this, you can start the server again by clicking "Start server".
Configuring the clients
- Now you need to change each client to the new license server.
- Click Start -> (All) Programs -> Nemetschek -> Nemetschek SoftLock 2006 -> License Manager.
- If the license server window is hidden, click "Configure NemSLock Server"at the bottom. It is a good idea to lock this window. All you need to do is click the drawing pin icon.
- Enter the computer name or IP address of the license server in the empty box. Then click the "Update” icon to the right.
- Now the user can select one of the seats provided. Click "Close" to complete the configuration. Now you can start Allplan.
- After having successfully connected to the license server, clear the check boxes for the trial licenses in the area at the top.
- If a user selects several configurations for a seat and starts Allplan, the license server will provide the required licenses; in other words, starting Allplan once might require two licenses. Consequently, fewer licenses are available to other users.
- 2014-1 and later: If the latest version of License Manager is installed (file version 1. 0. 26. 153 or later, see License Manager- Options- System), you can also select several licenses. If one of the selected licenses is currently being used by someone else, the program will automatically select the next available license.
- Clients communicate with the server by TCP/IP via port 10977. So you need to configure the firewall accordingly.
- The license server and the licenses are downward compatible; they can be used in conjunction with older Allplan versions.
I have received a license for my dongle. How can I install this license?
1. License on hard disk (or network drive)
Copy the license files to any folder, for example, C:\License, and select this folder when you install the license.
a. During setup
While installing Allplan, select the 'License file from any folder' option and choose the folder with the license files.
b. Installing a license later
To install the license, select
Services application -> Utilities -> License -> Install HARDLOCK License
A dialog box appears. Select the folder with the license files.
2. License by email
If you have received the license by email, save the attachment to any folder, for example, C:\License, and proceed as described in step 1.
If the licenses are compressed (*.zip), extract them first using an appropriate program, such as Winzip (www.winzip.de).
3. License on storage medium (CD or USB stick)
You can also copy the license files to a storage medium (USB stick, for example) or write them to a CD and then proceed as described in step 1b.
- If you have received a license for a license server, read the instructions in the documents for the license server. If any questions arise, contact technical support.
- Keep the license in a safe place as you may need it for future installations or if there are problems.
- Make sure you install the license that is appropriate to the dongle you use, as each license matches only a single dongle. time.
- Setup needs to access the license file(s) during the entire installation process. It is therefore not possible to read the license file(s) from a CD and then remove this CD during installation. You are advised to copy the license file(s) to a folder on the hard disk.