Allplan from version 2011
Parts of Allplan 2011 have been reprogrammed and are completely new. Allplan uses a graphics library, which has been developed especially for CAD programs and visualization tasks. Depending on the data type and application, the display speed of Allplan is much higher than that of earlier versions, and refresh operations are considerably shorter. What's more, you can create hidden line images in real time.
This new technology is not a one-to-one implementation of the software-based solution in the previous version. Instead, a hardware-based approach is used. When it comes to data processing, the graphics card takes on much of the work. The different behavior of these two technologies that may occur in some parts is inherent. Therefore, the resulting display and refresh operations may differ slightly from what you are used to.
General graphics card requirements for Allplan
To fully exploit hardware acceleration capabilities, you require an Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10 (chip-based) compatible graphics card with 512 MB or more memory. Although Windows XP does not support DirectX10, Allplan only requires the chip-based support of the graphics card to manage the graphics library. OpenGL 2.0 is used in 2D and in visualization windows. These changes employ the latest technology in graphic display, so selecting a capable graphics card, and using the proper drivers is essential.
For more information on graphics card specifications, go to:
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Graphic card manufacturers typically have different product lines targeted for "gamers" and "professional users". While the hardware setup is very similar in case of both cards, there are key differences in their firmware and driver. "Consumer-Level cards" (such as Nvidia GeForce and AMD/ATI Radeon) are optimized for 3D games and technologically designed for DirectX10, as speed is more important than image quality.
Typically a 3D model in a game contains a low number of polygons with textures applied to them, while in CAD applications polygon count is high, and the image quality of wireframe models or shaded models is more important than navigation speed. Also, professional cards' memory usage is optimized for using multiple application windows, while in gaming this is not relevant.
Another key difference between the two product lines is the way they are delivered and supported. Professional cards (such as Nvidia Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/PRO) are built according to the video chip manufacturer's references, so you can always be sure that the driver delivered by the video chip manufacturer (such as Nvidia or AMD/ATI) fits your card.
The manufacturers of Consumer-Level cards (such as ASUS, Sapphire, Gigabyte, PNY and so on) may diverge from the chip manufacturer's references, so their drivers may not be compatible with the chip manufacturer's reference driver. Also, the product life cycle and driver release cycles are much shorter in case of gaming cards, usually 6 months up to 1 year at most and a 1-year warranty period maximum.
Example: comparison of graphics cards
Professional graphics cards / workstation
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Professional graphics cards differ considerably from "Consumer-Level cards" for private users with regard to specific market segments with special requirements:
- Extensive application tests and certifications with CAD providers
- Optimized and advanced support for API as well as further developments
- Longer product life cycles and availability
- Direct product support
- Longer warranty period
Nemetschek Allplan GmbH cooperates with Nvidia und AMD to test graphics card drivers for the Nvidia FX Quadro/ Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/ Fire Pro series. These product lines are tested, certified and recommended for Allplan by Nemetschek Allplan Systems GmbH.
For more information on certified graphics cards, go to:
There are four different categories and areas:
|Graphics card||Application||Quality tests||Status|
|Gaming graphics cards||3D Games||Tested / not tested||Not recommended|
|Professional graphics cards||3D basis||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D high performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
Recommended graphics cards for laptops (Windows)
For reasons detailed above, we cannot recommend any specific card and driver combination for laptops. However, there are professional graphics cards available for high-end laptops such as NVidia FX Quadro & Quadro NVidia "M" or AMD/ATI FireGL & FirePro "Mobility".
These graphics cards are just as good as their desktop counterparts.
Laptops with Consumer-Level cards have been tested only briefly and cannot be recommended. We have had bad experience with on-board Intel graphics cards.
Graphics cards drivers for Apple Macintosh
Since Macs come with a default graphics card (on-board or gaming), and the drivers are bundled with system updates, we cannot recommend a specific card.
Graphics cards for MacOsX 10.6 (Leopard) or later and Boot Camp support Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10. Currently, there is only one series that is equipped with a professional graphics card: Mac Pro with NVidia FX4800 for Mac.
Notes for Allplan and Macintosh:
- There is no provision for a direct installation under Macintosh.
- Access to Windows must be straight from the Boot Camp installation.
- For performance reasons, Parallels Desktop cannot be used in conjunction with Nemetschek Allplan.
We kindly ask you to understand that Nemetschek Allplan cannot provide support for Boot Camp installations.
Installing graphics cards drivers (Windows)
Graphics cards only work properly if they have a hardware provider supplied driver (not system built-in driver) installed correctly. It may happen that remnants of a previous installation interfere with the current driver installation. If you experience display issues with the drivers listed below, please "clean-install" the driver again. "Clean-install" means removing all previous driver files before installing a new driver. Unfortunately, a simple uninstall may not efficiently remove all components of a driver. There are tools that can do it, like ATI's cat uninstaller or third-party tools like driver cleaner or driver cleaner pro 1.5.
Graphics card drivers for laptops (Windows)
In most cases, graphic card drivers for laptops are supplied by the laptop manufacturer, and graphic card provider supplied drivers will not install on laptops. This makes it practically impossible for us to test laptop graphics cards. If you are experiencing display issues with your laptop, and your supplier does not offer you a driver update, you might try - at your own risk - to tweak a desktop driver to work on your laptop. Note that this is obviously not encouraged by your laptop supplier.
I can neither check in nor check out the computer.
When I try to check in the computer, the following error message appears: “The registry entries are not correct!” How can I correct this error?
There is a hidden file on the server. This file causes the problem, which is probably related to user rights or user account control.
You have to change the settings directly on the server, that is so say, you have to use the folder options to show all hidden folders and files.
1. Open the central file storage folder on the server. There is a subordinate folder called
NET. This folder contains the computer_name.out file. Here, computer_name is the name of the computer that is checked out.
Delete this file.
2. Open the shared folder (for example, C:\Nemdata\Allplan) on the computer that is checked out.
Allplan 2015 and earlier: Delete the Net.ChkOutfolder.
Allplan 2016 and later: Delete the NETfolder.
Now the computer is checked in again. Consequently, you can move projects to this computer
or check it out once more.
If the computer or the projects are still red, you have to fix the projects.
To fix the projects:
Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Administer projects and computers
Do the following:
Ctrl + right-click computer-> can be checked in
Ctrl + right-click project-> can be unlocked
Repeat this step to unlock every project on the computer.
When you have finished, close the dialog box and open it again to update it.
Now everything should be correct.
How can I move NemSLock Server to a new server?
Reinstalling NemSLock Server
- Start the Setup program for NemSLock Server. You can find the latest Setup program on our FTP server:
- Select one of the temporary license files for NemSLock server (for example, 1234567a_001_psd.nslsrv). These licenses are valid for 30 days. However, each license includes only one seat of each configuration purchased. The full number of seats purchased will be available to you as soon as you have installed the registered licenses (see below). If you purchased a configuration for one seat only, you will, of course, receive only one temporary license.
- When you opt for the “Custom” setup type, you can choose between the following program features:
You can use this program to administer NemSLock Server. The console can be installed on several workstations. This way, you can administer the server from a number of different locations. However, you can only connect one console to the server at any one time.
The actual license server.
This tool analyzes the log files of NemSLock Server.
User List Generator
You can use this tool to create the users for NemSLock Server from a text file or based on a server.
By default, Setup installs all these features.
- If your license includes configurations for several seats, you need to install the additional temporary license files for NemSLock server after the installation (see below).
Transferring the user administration from the old server (if users are available)
- You can find the user administration in the program folder of the license server. Copy the "users.mcf" file to the program folder of the new license server.
- Stop the license server service on the new server before you copy the file. To do this, start the "stopService.bat" program, which is also in the program folder of the license server.
- After copying, start the license server service again. To do this, use the "startService.bat" program.
Returning the registered licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console on the old server by clicking the icon on the desktop or Start -> (All) Programs -> NemSLock 2006 Server -> NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Stop server".
- Click "Modules".
- Click "Transfer license permanently".
- Confirm the following dialog boxes. Click “Browse”.Windows Explorer starts and opens the folder with the hcws-format file. Now you can use all the options provided by Windows Explorer: for example, you can attach the file to an email, copy it to a computer with Internet access and so on.Send this file by email to email@example.com.
- We will send you an email, confirming that we have received the licenses.
- You always have to return all licenses.
- After you have done this, they are only valid for two more days.
Registering the license(s) on the new server
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console on the new license server.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Select the seat you want to register. If your license contains configurations for several seats, read the notes further down.
- Click "Registration request (register.txt)".
- Click "Edit".
- Fill out all fields marked with an asterisk (*). Make sure you enter your email address correctly, because the registered license file will be sent to this address (and not to the address of the person who sent the registration request!). Click OK to confirm.
- Click "Create registration request".Windows Explorer starts and opens the folder with the "register.txt" file. Now you can use all the options provided by Windows Explorer: for example, you can attach the file to an email, copy it to a computer with Internet access and so on.Send the registration request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your license includes configurations for several seats, you must send a separate registration request for each seat. You will then receive a registered license file for each seat. You must install each file.
How to install licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Stop server" on the left.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Click ”Browse” to navigate to the registered license file.
- Click "Install license file".
- After this, you can start the server again by clicking "Start server".
Configuring the clients
- Now you need to change each client to the new license server.
- Click Start -> (All) Programs -> Nemetschek -> Nemetschek SoftLock 2006 -> License Manager.
- If the license server window is hidden, click "Configure NemSLock Server"at the bottom. It is a good idea to lock this window. All you need to do is click the drawing pin icon.
- Enter the computer name or IP address of the license server in the empty box. Then click the "Update” icon to the right.
- Now the user can select one of the seats provided. Click "Close" to complete the configuration. Now you can start Allplan.
- After having successfully connected to the license server, clear the check boxes for the trial licenses in the area at the top.
- If a user selects several configurations for a seat and starts Allplan, the license server will provide the required licenses; in other words, starting Allplan once might require two licenses. Consequently, fewer licenses are available to other users.
- 2014-1 and later: If the latest version of License Manager is installed (file version 1. 0. 26. 153 or later, see License Manager- Options- System), you can also select several licenses. If one of the selected licenses is currently being used by someone else, the program will automatically select the next available license.
- Clients communicate with the server by TCP/IP via port 10977. So you need to configure the firewall accordingly.
- The license server and the licenses are downward compatible; they can be used in conjunction with older Allplan versions.
Why is it not possible to clear the check box for 'Find license server automatically' and why can't I enter an additional server name? These functions are grayed out.
This problem is caused by Windows access rights. Only administrators can change these options.
If this problem occurs during Setup and you cannot select a license, start by installing Allplan as a viewer.
Granting permissions later:
Assign full control to the users.
Local permissions prevent them from accessing the following file: Lic3LM.ini
Check whether the users have full control of the following folder:
Click folder with the right mouse button -> Properties -> Security -> Edit -> select the user - > grant full control
Open the 'License settings' dialog box: Services application -> Utilities -> License settingsYou should now be able to clear the check box and enter additional server names.
When I create a hidden line image of an isometric view (Viewmenu -> View-> Front Left, Southwest Isometric Viewor any other isometric view), Allplan does not use the original dimensions so that the resulting lengths are distorted.
How can I make sure that Allplan creates the hidden line image based on the actual dimensions?
In accordance with DIN, an isometric view is calculated as follows:
Allplan chooses the projection plane and the axes so that all the axes are shortened equally = axonometric projection of an isometric view.
This is the case when all the angles are the same: 120 degrees. The result is an equilateral triangle. Each side is shortened by two-thirds or 0.8165. However, the edges parallel to the axes are usually not shortened.
Angle of the coordinate axes:
x axis: 30 degrees to the horizontal
y axis: 30 degrees to the horizontal
x : y : z = 1 : 1 : 1 (using a factor of 0.8165)
When calculating an isometric view, Allplan shortens all directions by the same value (x:y:z = 1:1:1), using a factor of 0.8165.
All you need to do is resize the result in the destination drawing file by the corresponding factor (1.22475) in the x and y directions. After this, all the edges are displayed at their actual size and can be dimensioned.