Allplan does not react promptly or seems to hang after I have selected the "Open on a Project-Specific Basis" or "New Project, Open Project" tool.
One of the following virus scanners is running: Trendmicro, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avira, F-Prot and others.
What can I do to solve this problem?
Check whether updating the software of the virus scanner solves the problem.
If it doesn't, configure the real time scanner of the virus scanner so that it no longer scans the program folder and data folder of Allplan.
Start the Services application. Make a note of the following paths displayed in the Services application window:
General program data
Central file storage folder
Define these folders as exemptions in your virus scanner.
Bear in mind that virus scanners may be installed on the server and the clients (provided you work with a server).
For more information on the virus scanner, contact the manufacturer.
This document provides additional information on installing Allplan 2021.
We strongly recommend that you perform a complete data backup and archive this data before you upgrade to Allplan 2021!
Detailed installation instructions can be found in the following places:
- If you have downloaded and unpacked Allplan 2021, you will find the file install.chm in the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2021\HelpFiles\English
Please read these before installing Allplan 2021.
System requirements Allplan 2021
Licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2021
Extract from the installation instructions (see above)
If you want to switch from Allplan 2018/2019/2020 to Allplan 2021, you have three basic installation options.
1. New installation
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. No data and settings are transferred to the new installation.
The following options are available for transferring data later:
Uninstall Allplan 2021 and then upgrade Allplan 2018/2019/2020.
Integrating the data by hand (administrator knowledge required).
2. New installation with data copy from version
Allplan 2021 is installed in a new folder. Any existing installations of Allplan (2020 or older) are not affected. The office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) can be automatically copied from an existing version 2018/2019/2020 to the new installation folder.
In this way, you can create a duplicate dataset if necessary: all projects, standards and resources can be used in both Allplan 2021 and 2018/2019/2020. This allows you to test the transition to the new version in real life, while the existing Allplan installation remains fully functional.
Note, however, that this method of working should avoid parallel processing of data in both installations, as the subsequent merging is time-consuming.
2a. Continuation of new installation with data copy from version
This option is available if a new installation with data copy has already been performed on another computer accessing the same data server and therefore the data has already been transferred.
3. Upgrade with data transfer from version 2018/2019/2020
Allplan 2021 is installed in an existing folder. The existing installation of Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is converted to Allplan 2021 and all important settings are transferred (see also Limitations for Data Transfer). Allplan 2018/2019/2020 is then no longer available.
Any existing installations older than Allplan 2018 are not affected.
For network installations (shared 'central file storage folder'), only one main release version can be used - all workstations must be brought to Allplan 2021. Before starting the installation, make sure that all workstations have upgrade authorization. A mixed installation of different main versions is not technically approved. Complications that may arise are not covered by the maintenance contracts.
During the upgrade, no workstation may be running any version 2020, 2019 or 2018.
In case of an installation with Workgroupmanager all workstations must be checked in during the upgrade.
Data from older Allplan versions must be converted to version 2021. This happens automatically for projects opened in Allplan 2021. For instructions on how to convert all projects at once, click here:
- Why can't I create elements?
- Why can't I move a drawing?
- Why are elements not created correctly?
- Why does the program crash when I import a DXF file from the land registry office?
- Why is the outline of a circumscribed area not detected correctly?
- Why can't I calculate shadows?
- Why are elements not displayed correctly in animation?
- Why are parts of dimension text missing?
- Why do the contents of the screen suddenly rotate?
- Why can't I get a preview when I move or copy elements?
- Why are areas not calculated correctly?
Finding the reason for these problems:
Check whether an offset is set in the project settings (File -> New Project, Open Project-> select the project and open the shortcut menu -> Properties; Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options ->Advanced Draft -> Settings). If there are offset coordinates, clear the check box.
Select Tools -> Measure(->)Coordinates.
Click in the middle of the drawing in plan view.
If there are very large values (for example, x/y/z greater than 5000 m), you have found the reason for these problems.
The system has problems calculating and displaying data with very large coordinates. The more data you have with very large coordinates, the greater this effect.
- Click Tools -> Options... -> Desktop environment -> Generaland select Optimize working with large coordinates(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options -> Global Options -> Miscellaneous tab -> Optimize working with large coordinates). After this you must restart Allplan. Otherwise, this setting has no effect.
This is a user setting you must define separately for each user.
- Usually, the best solution is to move the data towards the Allplan origin. Use the "Move" tool. When Allplan prompts you to specify the target point ("To point"), select Global point in the dialog line. You can find detailed information in the help for Allplan. Look for the Global pointtopic.
If the data are still not displayed correctly, do the following:
Exit Allplan -> Services application-> Service -> Hotline Tools-> cleanup -> start Allplan.
I just installed an upgrade. How can I convert all the projects at once?
Back up all the projects beforehand!
Do the following:
- Exit Allplan on all workstations.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Log in as the Allplan administrator (sysadm).
- Start the Services application.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Make sure all the computers where projects are located are up and running.
To check this, select:
Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Information -> Display Project List(the second column displays the computer where the project is located).
- Go to the computer where you want to convert the data and set the drawing file size to the maximum value:
Services application->Service ->Hotline Tools->docsize ->512 (or 1024, if available) ->OK
After data conversion, you can set the drawing file size back to the initial value.
- Start converting the data (use the computer where you have changed the drawing file size):
Services application ->Service ->Hotline Tools -> datwaprjs: convert data of all projects
If you reply "Yes" at the following two prompts, the program will convert the data of all projects.
The time it takes to convert the data depends on various factors:
- Number of projects
- Size of each project
- Performance of the computer converting the data
- Network performance
It is possible to start data conversion from several workstations at the same time.
Suddenly, one of the following error messages pops up: "This license is no longer available", "CmActLicense runtime system is not installed!" or "NemAll_DataResource20.dll: Start Error 102". After this, Allplan does not start anymore. How can I solve this problem?
The local Windows service, which is used by licensing, is not running correctly.
If communication with the local Wibu service is blocked, Allplan cannot find the license anymore. This is often caused by the virus scanner.
So you need to exclude the "Codemeter" folder from virus scans.
You can find this folders in the following path:
C:\Program files (X86)\Codemeter
Then restart the service:
Start CodeMeter Control Center.
To do this, use the Windows start menu and select CodeMeter -> CodeMeter Control Center. As an alternative, open Search by clicking the Search button on the Start screen and enter Codemeter.
CodeMeter Control Center -> Process -> Start CodeMeter Service
If the service is running, stop it and restart it.
Follow this link to find out how to configure the virus scanner in conjunction with real-time scanning. Exclude all Allplan folders with their subfolders from virus scans. You can display the paths to the Allplan folders in the Services application window.
How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> email@example.com.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.
Allplan from version 2011
Parts of Allplan 2011 have been reprogrammed and are completely new. Allplan uses a graphics library, which has been developed especially for CAD programs and visualization tasks. Depending on the data type and application, the display speed of Allplan is much higher than that of earlier versions, and refresh operations are considerably shorter. What's more, you can create hidden line images in real time.
This new technology is not a one-to-one implementation of the software-based solution in the previous version. Instead, a hardware-based approach is used. When it comes to data processing, the graphics card takes on much of the work. The different behavior of these two technologies that may occur in some parts is inherent. Therefore, the resulting display and refresh operations may differ slightly from what you are used to.
General graphics card requirements for Allplan
To fully exploit hardware acceleration capabilities, you require an Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10 (chip-based) compatible graphics card with 512 MB or more memory. Although Windows XP does not support DirectX10, Allplan only requires the chip-based support of the graphics card to manage the graphics library. OpenGL 2.0 is used in 2D and in visualization windows. These changes employ the latest technology in graphic display, so selecting a capable graphics card, and using the proper drivers is essential.
For more information on graphics card specifications, go to:
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Graphic card manufacturers typically have different product lines targeted for "gamers" and "professional users". While the hardware setup is very similar in case of both cards, there are key differences in their firmware and driver. "Consumer-Level cards" (such as Nvidia GeForce and AMD/ATI Radeon) are optimized for 3D games and technologically designed for DirectX10, as speed is more important than image quality.
Typically a 3D model in a game contains a low number of polygons with textures applied to them, while in CAD applications polygon count is high, and the image quality of wireframe models or shaded models is more important than navigation speed. Also, professional cards' memory usage is optimized for using multiple application windows, while in gaming this is not relevant.
Another key difference between the two product lines is the way they are delivered and supported. Professional cards (such as Nvidia Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/PRO) are built according to the video chip manufacturer's references, so you can always be sure that the driver delivered by the video chip manufacturer (such as Nvidia or AMD/ATI) fits your card.
The manufacturers of Consumer-Level cards (such as ASUS, Sapphire, Gigabyte, PNY and so on) may diverge from the chip manufacturer's references, so their drivers may not be compatible with the chip manufacturer's reference driver. Also, the product life cycle and driver release cycles are much shorter in case of gaming cards, usually 6 months up to 1 year at most and a 1-year warranty period maximum.
Example: comparison of graphics cards
Professional graphics cards / workstation
Professional graphics cards versus Consumer-Level cards
Professional graphics cards differ considerably from "Consumer-Level cards" for private users with regard to specific market segments with special requirements:
- Extensive application tests and certifications with CAD providers
- Optimized and advanced support for API as well as further developments
- Longer product life cycles and availability
- Direct product support
- Longer warranty period
Nemetschek Allplan GmbH cooperates with Nvidia und AMD to test graphics card drivers for the Nvidia FX Quadro/ Quadro and AMD/ATI FireGL/ Fire Pro series. These product lines are tested, certified and recommended for Allplan by Nemetschek Allplan Systems GmbH.
For more information on certified graphics cards, go to:
There are four different categories and areas:
|Graphics card||Application||Quality tests||Status|
|Gaming graphics cards||3D Games||Tested / not tested||Not recommended|
|Professional graphics cards||3D basis||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
|Professional graphics cards||3D high performance||Certified and recommended||End of life|
Recommended graphics cards for laptops (Windows)
For reasons detailed above, we cannot recommend any specific card and driver combination for laptops. However, there are professional graphics cards available for high-end laptops such as NVidia FX Quadro & Quadro NVidia "M" or AMD/ATI FireGL & FirePro "Mobility".
These graphics cards are just as good as their desktop counterparts.
Laptops with Consumer-Level cards have been tested only briefly and cannot be recommended. We have had bad experience with on-board Intel graphics cards.
Graphics cards drivers for Apple Macintosh
Since Macs come with a default graphics card (on-board or gaming), and the drivers are bundled with system updates, we cannot recommend a specific card.
Graphics cards for MacOsX 10.6 (Leopard) or later and Boot Camp support Open GL 2.0 and DirectX10. Currently, there is only one series that is equipped with a professional graphics card: Mac Pro with NVidia FX4800 for Mac.
Notes for Allplan and Macintosh:
- There is no provision for a direct installation under Macintosh.
- Access to Windows must be straight from the Boot Camp installation.
- For performance reasons, Parallels Desktop cannot be used in conjunction with Nemetschek Allplan.
We kindly ask you to understand that Nemetschek Allplan cannot provide support for Boot Camp installations.
Installing graphics cards drivers (Windows)
Graphics cards only work properly if they have a hardware provider supplied driver (not system built-in driver) installed correctly. It may happen that remnants of a previous installation interfere with the current driver installation. If you experience display issues with the drivers listed below, please "clean-install" the driver again. "Clean-install" means removing all previous driver files before installing a new driver. Unfortunately, a simple uninstall may not efficiently remove all components of a driver. There are tools that can do it, like ATI's cat uninstaller or third-party tools like driver cleaner or driver cleaner pro 1.5.
Graphics card drivers for laptops (Windows)
In most cases, graphic card drivers for laptops are supplied by the laptop manufacturer, and graphic card provider supplied drivers will not install on laptops. This makes it practically impossible for us to test laptop graphics cards. If you are experiencing display issues with your laptop, and your supplier does not offer you a driver update, you might try - at your own risk - to tweak a desktop driver to work on your laptop. Note that this is obviously not encouraged by your laptop supplier.
This document provides further information on installing Allplan 2019.
Backing up and archiving data:
We strongly recommend that you back up and archive all your data before you upgrade to Allplan 2019.
How to install
You can find detailed instructions on how to install Allplan 2019 in the following places:
- After you have downloaded and unzipped Allplan 2019, you can find the ‘install.chm’ file in the following folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2019\HelpFiles\English.
- Use the following link:
https://webdrive.allplan.com/s/4LrjrymoxESzC6p and open the General\Installation help\2019 folder.
Please read these instructions before you install Allplan 2019.
System requirements for Allplan 2019
How to handle licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2019
Some notes on installing Allplan 2019
If you want to switch from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019, you can choose between three installation options. We recommend using the second option: first-time installation and copy data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
1. First-time installation
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). Setup does not transfer any data or settings to the new installation.
If you want to transfer data later, you have the following options:
You can uninstall Allplan 2019 and then upgrade from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
You can integrate the data manually (requires administrative knowledge).
2. First-time installation and copy data from version
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). You can configure Setup to automatically copy the office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to the new installations folder.
This duplicates the data: You can use all projects, defaults and resources both in Allplan 2018 and in Allplan 2016/2017/2016. This way, you can test the new version without losing your 'old' Allplan version.
Bear in mind, though, that you should not mix data from different versions. Merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
2a. Continue with first-time installation and copy data from version
This option is available when you have already used the second installation option to install <Product_Version> to a computer that accesses the same data server. As a result, the data are already available.
3. Upgrade and transfer data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018
This option installs Allplan 2019 to an existing folder, converting Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019 and transferring all important settings. Afterwards, you can no longer work with Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
This does nor affect earlier Allplan versions (Allplan 2015 or earlier).
Installing on a network:
- If you work in a network environment (one common central file storage folder), you must upgrade all workstations to Allplan 2019. Beforeyou start installing, make sure that all workstations can be upgraded. For technical reasons, it is not possible to mix installations of different major releases. Any related problems area not covered by service contracts.
- During the upgrade, Allplan 2016/2017/2018 must not be running on any workstation.
- When installing with Workgroup Manager, make sure all workstations are checked in before you start upgrading.
Converting the data:
Data from earlier Allplan versions need to be converted to version 2019. Allplan 2019 automatically converts the data of a project you open. Click here for instructions on how to convert all projects in a single operation:
Click here for instructions on how to get your activation codes for Allplan IBD:
How can I permanently change the path settings presented for selection in specific tools (save, import)?
When you save, import and export elements or files, Allplan automatically proposes a specific folder where the data is saved or taken from.
You can specify which Allplan file type is saved in which folder. These folders are automatically presented in the "Save" dialog box of the relevant file type. However, you can change them at any time.
To set this proposed folder on an individual basis, do the following:
Select the Tools menu ->Options... -> Desktop environment(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options... -> Global Options-> "Settings"tab).
You can click thePAah setting sbutton to the right of Folders for savingto define defaults. You can choose Project, Private, Custom or Last for the path setting:
- Project: the file type is saved in the current project (not available for NDW and NPL files).
- Private: the file type is saved in the user's private project.
- Custom: you can specify any folder for the file type. To select the folder, click the path displayed in the Folder column and enter a new path or click ... in the Browse column and select the path in a dialog box.
- Last: the file type is saved in the path you selected last.
During installation of license server the message appears 'installation failed'. What could be the reason for it?
Check the following points:
- The license server must be installed in a 64 bit windows system. License server is not working on 32 bit system.
- Make sure the license server setup is saved local on the machine and is not executed over network
- Stop the real time check of your virus scanner or stop the virus scanner complete during installation. Optionally stop the firewall as well - attention in most cases you have to reboot the server in order to take over the settings.
- Run the *.exe file over context menu -> run as administrator.
- If the license server installation still fails. The reason could be NET framework. License server uses NET framework 4.6 and in newer version 4.7. If there are components missing the setup will automatically try to install them. This happens in the background. It will be connected to webpage of Microsoft http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=397708 and the missing files will be downloaded and installed. If a proxy server is blocking this page the download cannot happen and the license server installation fails. In these cases you will have to configure the proxy server settings to allow the Microsoft URL. Microsoft URL has to be trustworthy. Start installation of license server again.
Addition for license server 2017 on older sever like 2008 R2 server:
If the license server installation still fails and the setup stays at 50%, then the reason is usually .NET framework.
Try to install the .NET version in advance from Microsoft Download.
Installation of. NET framework 4.6 requires at least Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP 1.
For information, also see the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=49982
If the installation of the new version keeps failing, try to install a slightly older license server.
It will works the same way with ALLPLAN 2017 but still is operating with .NET 4.5.2.
Use the following link:
ftp://nemhotline: ha37jvg8f @ftp.nemetschek.de/download/Allgemein/Archiv/WiBu/Lizenzserver
Download the License server until 2017-0.
After successfully installation of license server you will have to connect via internet again in order to activate the license. If using proxy allow the access of the following URLs as well.