How can I work from home with Allplan without a direct LAN connection to a common file storage folder?
1. Working from home with direct access to the central data
If you want to work together on projects, you can use Allplan Share, Allplan’s cloud solution, to work with Allplan without a LAN connection to the central file storage folder. This is only possible if Allplan is installed as a standalone version on a computer without access to a central file storage folder; otherwise, Allplan does not start. If the computer is part of a workgroup installation, the computer must be checked out and used outside the LAN (like a standalone workstation). Data access is via cloud services.
This is only possible if you use Allplan Share for cloud storage.
Working with Allplan Share is just as simple as working at a standalone workstation. You and several other users can access and edit a project at the same time.
To get more information on Allplan Share, use the following link or contact your sales partner:
You can also find further information on Allplan Connect; use the following link:
VPN is not useful for common project storage.
Allplan exchanges many files with the data server. VPN uses advanced encryption, which considerably slows down data transfer.
A connection via VPN is not approved for Allplan because data might get damaged even if the connection is interrupted only briefly. In addition, working over the internet is extremely slow if the internet connection is not fast enough (at least 100 Mbit).
Allplan does not support a VPN connection with IPv6; Allplan detects only IPv4.
Make sure that the VPN connection does not switch to sleep mode.
Please note that we cannot provide support for this constellation.
2. Working from home without access to the central file storage (working locally):
2.1 Allplan with workgroup manager:
If workgroup manager is included in your license, you can check out a computer or laptop with projects from the workgroup environment. You can then work from home without access to the server. The projects on the computer or laptop that is checked out are locked for the CAD users on the network. These users see the comment you entered when you checked out the computer.
You can find instructions at
When you use a license server, you can get the license via a VPN connection or borrow the license beforehand:
2.2 Allplan without workgroup manager:
Using the office computer
If you have neither workgroup manager nor network access, you must uninstall Allplan and install it again by specifying the local paths. To work with a project, you must back it up and then import it to the local installation.
Using a new (private) computer
If you want to use a new computer to work from home, you must return the license at the office computer and then use this license to install Allplan on the new computer.
We recommend that you do not mix data from the office computer and the private computer. Merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
Use the following link to find out how to transfer projects:
I purchased the license server. How can I install and configure the license server?
Allplan is using since version 2016 a new protection system. Licensing is based on CodeMeter by Wibu Systems AG since then. You can no longer use NemSLock Server with Allplan 2016 and higher.
Allplan requires a Product Key. Using this key, you can activate your license online. The Product Key is a unique, 26-digit character string. You can use it to activate a license for Allplan.
You can find your Product Key in Allplan Connect. Go to http://connect.allplan.com/license
Note: The license is downwards compatible til version Allplan 2016-1-4 even if a higher version is displayed.
To install the license server, download the software for the license server from Allplan Connect
or from our FTP server:
The Wibu license server is part of the CodeMeter driver, which is installed along with Allplan. If you have already installed Allplan on the license server, you do not have to install additional software. But you can also install the license server separately; you do not have to install Allplan.
In any case, install and activate the license server before you install Allplan on the clients.
You can activate a license in online mode only if you have ...
- Internet access
- a Product Key
- a license server license; you cannot use other licenses with the license server.
Installing the license server
- You must install the license server on a 64-bit Windows system.
- Start License Server Setup on the computer you want to use as the license server.
- Click Install.
- Start the license server by starting the License Settings program. Go to the License activation area, enter your Product Key and click Activate license.
- If you have more licenses for the license server, enter the respective Product Keys and activate the licenses.
- Afterwards, start CodeMeter Control Center.
To do this, use the Windows start menu and select CodeMeter -> CodeMeter Control Center. As an alternative, open Search by clicking the Search button on the Start screen: enter Codemeter and press ENTER. A dialog box opens. Click WebAdmin at bottom right.
Enter Localhost:22350in the address bar of your browser.
- Select Configuration -> Server -> Access server in the Network server area and click Activate.
- Click Apply.
Configuring the license server (optional)
You can use the CodeMeter WebAdmin application to administer the license server.
To start and stop the license server service, you can use CodeMeter Control Center.
- CodeMeter Control Center -> Action -> Start or Stop CodeMeter Service
By default, all users on the LAN, who have installed the CodeMeter driver, can use a license from the license server.
- Basic access control: you can enter a list of client computer names or IP addresses that are allowed to access the license server.
- Advanced access control: you can specify global access rules (for all licenses) to control access to the licenses.
To activate license tracking, you have to set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WIBU-SYSTEMS\CodeMeter\Server\CurrentVersion\LogLicenseTracking registry entry to 1 and restart CodeMeter Service.
After having activated this key, you can use CodeMeter WebAdmin to create a report showing details about the licenses used over a specific period of time. To do this, open CodeMeter WebAdmin and go to the 'Server' - 'License Tracking' page. Select the period of time and the license for which you want to generate a report. Then click 'Create report'. If you click a single bar, you will get detailed analyses per day or per hour.
CodeMeter WebAdmin saves the reports to C:\ProgramData\CodeMeter\Logs.
Installing and configuring clients
Note for Version 2016: Install at least Allplan 2016-1-4 on the clients.
The license server license will be detected automatically on the network.
Install Allplan on the clients. When you are prompted to select the license file, click Use active license. Follow the installation instructions.
- You do not need to activatethe clients.
Allplan automatically finds the license server on the local network. If you have not selected a license, Allplan automatically selects the first available license.
After having installed Allplan on the clients, you can use the 'License Settings' dialog boxto configure license selection.
Services application -> Utilities -> License settings
- License activation: this area is not relevant to clients taking their license from the license server.
- License selection: use this section if you get the license from a license server or if you have several licenses and you want to select the preferred license.
- Start as a viewer: click this button if you want to start Allplan as a viewer.
You can see the names of the available licenses with their seat numbers.
The 'Available' column indicates how many licenses are still available. Click the dropdown arrow to see a list of users currently working with a license.
Select the check box in front of a license to select this license as a favorite. You can mark as many licenses as you want. Allplan will then prefer these licenses. Click to select one ore more licenses Allplan is not to use. If you do not select any license or if you have selected several favorites, Allplan will automatically use the first free license it finds.
Find license server automatically:
When you select this option, Allplan automatically detects a license server on the LAN. In some cases, such as VPN connections, Allplan may not be able to detect a server automatically. In this case, you can enter the server manually (see Additional server name).
Note: Only the Windows administrator can change this option.
Additional server name:
If 'Find license server automatically' is not active or Allplan has not automatically found a license server, you can manually enter the name or the IP address of the server. If 'Find license server automatically' is active, you can enter an additional server. After having entered the server name, click 'Update' to see the licenses of the license server. Use semicolons to separate several server names.
You can find detailed information on the license server in the License Settings help (F1 key).
Allplan communicates with the license server via TCP/IP. By default, communication is via Port 22350 unless you change the port in CodeMeter WebAdmin.
If a firewall is active on your computer, you must enable port 22350 for TCP and UDP. If the firewall filters in an application-specific manner, you have to enable the CodeMeter.exe license server service. You can find this service in the %Program Files (x86)%\CodeMeter\Runtime\bin Windows folder. Define the CodeMeter.exe service as an exception in the firewall. Some anti-virus programs also include firewall functions. If you are not sure, contact the manufacturer of the anti-virus program.
- Why can't I create elements?
- Why can't I move a drawing?
- Why are elements not created correctly?
- Why does the program crash when I import a DXF file from the land registry office?
- Why is the outline of a circumscribed area not detected correctly?
- Why can't I calculate shadows?
- Why are elements not displayed correctly in animation?
- Why are parts of dimension text missing?
- Why do the contents of the screen suddenly rotate?
- Why can't I get a preview when I move or copy elements?
- Why are areas not calculated correctly?
Finding the reason for these problems:
Check whether an offset is set in the project settings (File -> New Project, Open Project-> select the project and open the shortcut menu -> Properties; Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options ->Advanced Draft -> Settings). If there are offset coordinates, clear the check box.
Select Tools -> Measure(->)Coordinates.
Click in the middle of the drawing in plan view.
If there are very large values (for example, x/y/z greater than 5000 m), you have found the reason for these problems.
The system has problems calculating and displaying data with very large coordinates. The more data you have with very large coordinates, the greater this effect.
- Click Tools -> Options... -> Desktop environment -> Generaland select Optimize working with large coordinates(Allplan 2009 and earlier: Tools -> Options -> Global Options -> Miscellaneous tab -> Optimize working with large coordinates). After this you must restart Allplan. Otherwise, this setting has no effect.
This is a user setting you must define separately for each user.
- Usually, the best solution is to move the data towards the Allplan origin. Use the "Move" tool. When Allplan prompts you to specify the target point ("To point"), select Global point in the dialog line. You can find detailed information in the help for Allplan. Look for the Global pointtopic.
If the data are still not displayed correctly, do the following:
Exit Allplan -> Services application-> Service -> Hotline Tools-> cleanup -> start Allplan.
Allplan does not react promptly or seems to hang after I have selected the "Open on a Project-Specific Basis" or "New Project, Open Project" tool.
One of the following virus scanners is running: Trendmicro, McAfee, Kaspersky, Avira, F-Prot and others.
What can I do to solve this problem?
Check whether updating the software of the virus scanner solves the problem.
If it doesn't, configure the real time scanner of the virus scanner so that it no longer scans the program folder and data folder of Allplan.
Start the Services application. Make a note of the following paths displayed in the Services application window:
General program data
Central file storage folder
Define these folders as exemptions in your virus scanner.
Bear in mind that virus scanners may be installed on the server and the clients (provided you work with a server).
For more information on the virus scanner, contact the manufacturer.
I just installed an upgrade. How can I convert all the projects at once?
Back up all the projects beforehand!
Do the following:
- Exit Allplan on all workstations.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Log in as the Allplan administrator (sysadm).
- Start the Services application.
- Only when working with Workgroup Manager:
Make sure all the computers where projects are located are up and running.
To check this, select:
Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Information -> Display Project List(the second column displays the computer where the project is located).
- Go to the computer where you want to convert the data and set the drawing file size to the maximum value:
Services application->Service ->Hotline Tools->docsize ->512 (or 1024, if available) ->OK
After data conversion, you can set the drawing file size back to the initial value.
- Start converting the data (use the computer where you have changed the drawing file size):
Services application ->Service ->Hotline Tools -> datwaprjs: convert data of all projects
If you reply "Yes" at the following two prompts, the program will convert the data of all projects.
The time it takes to convert the data depends on various factors:
- Number of projects
- Size of each project
- Performance of the computer converting the data
- Network performance
It is possible to start data conversion from several workstations at the same time.
A new computer is to replace the existing one.
How can I transfer the existing data and settings of the existing Allplan installation to the new computer?
Please note that this solution only works with stand-alone versions.
Install the same version of Allplan on the new computer and transfer the data as follows:
1st - transferring the data:
Transfer the following folders from the old computer to the new one:
Project folder (PRJ)
Office standard folder (STD) and
User folder (USR)
You can determine the path to these folders on both the new computer and the old computer as follows:
Services application->Service->Hotline Tools->Showcfg: shows system variables ->OK
You can find the paths to the folders after PRJ, STD and USR.
2nd - transferring the toolbar configuration:
Export the configurations from the old computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Export...
You can then import the configurations to the new computer by clicking View -> Toolbars -> Customize... -> Import...
After I updated Windows (8 to 8.1; 8.1 to 10), Allplan only starts as a viewer. What can I do?
Windows update corrupts Nemetschek Softlock License Manager.
To fix Allplan, do the following:
You need the latest installation package for your version.
You can download this package from our webdrive
You can find the installation packages in the following path:
Copy the zip file to the local computer and unzip the file.
Start the installation and run an update use our temporary license file.
You can download the temporary license from Allplan Connect:
After the installation, you can open License Manager again (Services application -> Utilities -> License -> License Manager). Next, install the temporary license (*_psd.nslock): "Install - Install license"
Note: the status of the temporary license is set to "Expired".
Next, create a new registration request.
To generate a registration request, do the following:
Open License Manager (Services application -> Utilities -> License -> License Manager). Select the license entry for your seat and click "Request license".
Follow the instructions displayed on screen. Complete the form. Do not forget to enter your email address.
Check that the Client ID and CD Key are correct.
Send the registration request to: email@example.com.
How to update the license server and the licenses?
Allplan 2016: Before you do anything, make sure Allplan 2016-1-4 or later is running on all clients.
Allplan 2017 and higher: Check the version of the license server as described below and update the licenses.
1. Updating the license server
Check the version of your installed license server on the server. Starting with the license server version 2016-1-4, the detailed version status (Build-ID) is displayed directly in the lower left corner of the License Settings program.
The latest version 1.1196.xxx.xxx should be displayed here. If an older Build ID is displayed, then you still have an older license server in use. In any case, please update your license server. Download the software for the license server from Allplan Connect - license server version 2021 or from the following link.
The package is in the folder
Start the new License Server Setup on the server or computer you use as the license server. Right-click the *.exe file and select 'Run as administrator' on the shortcut menu.
- Click Install.
- Click Exit.
If you have not yet installed the license server or if you have not switched to Allplan 2016 or higer until now, you can find detailed step-by-step instructions at
2. Updating the licenses
Update the licenses at the license server as follows:
- Start the License Settingsprogram on the server.
- Click License activationon the left. Then click the license you want to update so that this license is highlighted in blue.
- As you can see, the 'Update license' function is now available.
- Click Update license.
- If your license includes configurations for several seats, you must update each license separately.
Note: When updating the license it can be that you will receive a higher version of the license as the version of Allplan you are using. The license is downward comatible and can be used until Allplan 2016.
This document provides further information on installing Allplan 2019.
Backing up and archiving data:
We strongly recommend that you back up and archive all your data before you upgrade to Allplan 2019.
How to install
You can find detailed instructions on how to install Allplan 2019 in the following places:
- After you have downloaded and unzipped Allplan 2019, you can find the ‘install.chm’ file in the following folder: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Allplan 2019\HelpFiles\English.
- Use the following link:
https://webdrive.allplan.com/s/4LrjrymoxESzC6p and open the General\Installation help\2019 folder.
Please read these instructions before you install Allplan 2019.
System requirements for Allplan 2019
How to handle licenses when upgrading to Allplan 2019
Some notes on installing Allplan 2019
If you want to switch from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019, you can choose between three installation options. We recommend using the second option: first-time installation and copy data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
1. First-time installation
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). Setup does not transfer any data or settings to the new installation.
If you want to transfer data later, you have the following options:
You can uninstall Allplan 2019 and then upgrade from Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
You can integrate the data manually (requires administrative knowledge).
2. First-time installation and copy data from version
This option installs Allplan 2019 to a new folder without affecting any other Allplan installation (2018 or earlier). You can configure Setup to automatically copy the office standard (\std), projects (\prj) and user data (\usr) from Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to the new installations folder.
This duplicates the data: You can use all projects, defaults and resources both in Allplan 2018 and in Allplan 2016/2017/2016. This way, you can test the new version without losing your 'old' Allplan version.
Bear in mind, though, that you should not mix data from different versions. Merging data later involves considerable time and effort.
2a. Continue with first-time installation and copy data from version
This option is available when you have already used the second installation option to install <Product_Version> to a computer that accesses the same data server. As a result, the data are already available.
3. Upgrade and transfer data from Allplan 2016/2017/2018
This option installs Allplan 2019 to an existing folder, converting Allplan 2016/2017/2018 to Allplan 2019 and transferring all important settings. Afterwards, you can no longer work with Allplan 2016/2017/2018.
This does nor affect earlier Allplan versions (Allplan 2015 or earlier).
Installing on a network:
- If you work in a network environment (one common central file storage folder), you must upgrade all workstations to Allplan 2019. Beforeyou start installing, make sure that all workstations can be upgraded. For technical reasons, it is not possible to mix installations of different major releases. Any related problems area not covered by service contracts.
- During the upgrade, Allplan 2016/2017/2018 must not be running on any workstation.
- When installing with Workgroup Manager, make sure all workstations are checked in before you start upgrading.
Converting the data:
Data from earlier Allplan versions need to be converted to version 2019. Allplan 2019 automatically converts the data of a project you open. Click here for instructions on how to convert all projects in a single operation:
Click here for instructions on how to get your activation codes for Allplan IBD:
How can I import data from an earlier version?
You can import data from the last three Allplan versions.
Consequently, the following import operations are possible:
Target version <- import possible from version
2017 <- 2014
2016 <- 2013
2015 <- 2012
2014 <- 2011
2013 <- 2009
2012 <- 2008
2011 <- 2006
2009 <- 2005
2008 <- 2004
2006 <- 2003
2005 <- 17
2004 <- 16
We cannot guarantee that data created in older versions can be imported and edited. The conversion of older data may be incomplete, which may affect intelligent components in particular.
1. Archived data from an earlier version (not older than three previous versions):
There are two ways to convert the data to the current version:
- Import the project backups created and archived using the
Services application -> Data Backup -> Import -> Projects.
After importing the projects, convert them by opening each project once.
- Import the backups archived using the
Services application -> File -> Restore documents of any version to '...\Extern'.
The data are written to the external path.
You can now process the converted data in ProjectPilot.
2. Archived data from an older Allplan version (older than three previous versions):
- See whether you can use the approach described in step 1 to import the old projects.
- If available, it is a good idea to install an old Allplan version. Import the backups created and archived into this old version and convert the projects using the Services application. If you have imported a complete project backup, convert the data by opening each project once. When finished, repeat this process with a newer version (up to three versions later) until the data are up-to-date.
- If an old Allplan version is not available, you can also have the data converted by Allplan. Please note that this service is not free of charge. Please contact Technical Support -> firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can convert the data of all projects at once. Read the following FAQ in Allplan Connect: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20090408124904.html
- If enough hard disk space is available, you are advised to keep and maintain the projects so that Allplan automatically converts them to the current version whenever you upgrade.
- If there are project-specific smart symbol catalogs, you should open the smart symbol catalog once to convert the data.