Why is Allplan running so slow?
Check the following points:
1. Current version
Make sure you work with the current Allplan version.
- Do the following or ask your system administrator to do this:
Open Allplan and click the ‘?’ icon in the upper right-hand corner. Click ‘Update Allplan’.
Select 'Find now'. If Allplan finds updates or hotfixes, download the installation packages.
- Deactivate the virus scanner while your are installing updates or hotfixes. This might require administrator privileges. Contact your system administrator if you have problems.
- Right-click the Allplan icon on the desktop. A shortcut menu opens.
Select ‘Run as administrator’ and click ‘Yes’ to confirm the following message.
As a result, Windows security settings do not block the installation.
2. System requirements:
Check the hardware and software required for your Allplan computer.
2.a)Download and run the system test.
Check the notes.
2.b)Check the Allplan system requirements:
2.c)You can find information about graphics cards at
2.d)You can find server operating systems you can use for the central file storage of Allplan at
3. Hotline tools:
Start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select ‘Hotline Tools’. To save your settings, select the following tools.
- savestd: Saves user defaults.
- savereg: Saves CAD registry settings.
Start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select the following ‘Hotline Tools’:
- cleanup: Initializes the display.
- cleanstd: Resets CAD defaults.
- cleanreg: Resets CAD registry settings.
Check whether this has solved the problems.
If this is not so, restore the settings you just saved. To do this, start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select the following ‘Hotline Tools’:
- reststd: Restores saved user defaults.
- restreg: Restores CAD registry settings.
4. Color scheme selected in Allplan:
Start Allplan, open the ‘View’ menu, point to ‘Toolbars’ and select ‘Customize User Interface’. Open the ‘Customize’ tab and set ‘Color scheme and icon design’ to ‘Windows’.
5. Check the availability of all projects that are not online (if you use Workgroup Manager):
Start Allplan, open the ‘File’ menu and select ‘New Project, Open Project’. Deactivate ‘Check availability of all offline projects’.
6. Virus scanner
Check whether an anti-virus program is running in the background of the computer or server.
If so, reduce protection to "programs only".
Scanning "all files" can take a long time, considerably slowing down your computer when you switch between projects or exit the program.
You can exclude the Allplan installation folders from real-time scanning.When you start the Services application, you can see a list of the folders to be excluded.
You can find more information at
Changes in the settings of the virus scanner only come into effect when you re-start the computer.
7. Aero desktop effects
Deactivate the Aero desktop effects of Windows.
To do this, open the Control Panel, select ‘Ease of Access’ and go to the ‘Make things on the screen easier to see’ area.
Select the ‘Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible)’ option.
8. Name resolution on the network
If Allplan takes several minutes to start, name resolution on the network may not work.
To check this, do the following:
Right-click the Windows Start Button, select ‘Run’, type in ‘cmd’, click OK, type in ‘Nslookup’ and press ENTER.
Go to the line following the > character, type in the name of the Allplan data server and press ENTER.
The reply starts with the name and address of the server providing name resolution.
You can find the name and address of the Allplan data server in the second group.
If problems occur, contact your network administrator and ask him or her to configure name resolution correctly.
9. Speed of Allplan projects
Check whether some Allplan projects are slower than other Allplan projects.
Start with the empty project and check whether it is slow too.
After this, select any other Allplan project.
If it is only the current project that is slow, the problem may be caused by the data of the current project.
In this case, the data of this project must be analyzed in detail.
Contact technical support.
10. Network: checking out Allplan using Workgroup Manager
If you use Allplan with Workgroup Manager, you can check whether the problems are caused by the network. To do this, check out the workstation with the project in question and use the project on the local Allplan workstation.
You can find detailed information on checking out an Allplan workstation using Workgroup Manager in the
Services application. Open the ‘Help’ and select ‘Workgroup Manager’.
After you have checked out the workstation, Allplan no longer accesses the central file storage of the server.
If this has solved the problems, they are caused by the network. In this case, the network must be checked in detail.
Contact your network administrator and ask him or her to do this.
If the project is still slow, the problem may be caused by the data of the current project.
In this case, the data of this project must be analyzed in detail.
Contact technical support.
11. Log files and system information files
If all the points above do not solve the problems, technical support requires more system information about the computer running Allplan.
- So, we would be grateful if you could send us a support request (Allplan Hotinfo with Allplan logging).
To create a support request, start the Services application, open the ‘Service’ menu and select ‘Create support request (Hotinfo)’.
Several dialog boxes open. Select ‘Technical Support Allplan’ and ‘Enquiry with Allplan logging’. Enter all the data required. Finally, click ‘Finish’.
Another dialog box opens, prompting you to start Allplan. Click the ‘Start Allplan’ button.
Allplan starts, logging all processes.
Try to reproduce the problem as exactly as possible.
Exit Allplan as soon as possible, reducing the data in the log file to a minimum.
Then click ‘Next’ to generate the support request with the log file.
You can find more information about Hotinfo at
- To analyze the Windows system environment, we would ask you to send us the logs created by Windows Event Viewer of your computer.
To start Windows Event Viewer, right-click the Windows Start Button, select ‘Run’ and type in ‘eventvwr.msc’.
You can also type in ‘Event Viewer’ in the search box of Windows. This displays the link file to the Windows event logs.
Using Event Viewer, create *.evtx files for the application log and the system log in the ‘Windows Logs’ area and for the ‘Administrative Events’ log in the ‘Custom Views’ area.
Please send us the files.
How can I check out a computer and continue to work as a normal CAD user with my usual settings and permissions?
Install the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" driver.
This driver is necessary so that network services are running on the computer all the time.
Go to Allplan Connect for a detailed description: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/000162ae.html
Sign in as the Allplan administrator to the computer.
Step 1: add the computer to workgroup manager
You must add the computer to the workgroup so that you can store data (data server) on this computer. Do the following:
Create data folders:
Create a folder - for example, “Nemdata” - on the computer and share it (full control).
Create the “Allplan” subfolder in this folder. Create two subfolders - “usr” and “prj” - in the Allplan folder.
In this example: “...\Nemdata\Allplan\prj” and “...\Nemdata\Allplan\usr”
To share a folder for the Allplan file storage
- Start File Explorer on the computer that you want to use for file storage and switch to the folder that you want to share (in this example, the “Nemdata” folder).
- Right-click the folder that you want to share and select Give access to -> Specific peopleon the shortcut menu.
- Select Everyoneand click Share.
- Start the Services application as the workgroup administrator.
- Click and select Manage computers and projects.
- Click the Add any computer to Allplan workgroupicon and select the computer that you want to add.
- Select the “Allplan” subfolder under the share and click “OK” to confirm. This computer is now listed under workgroup server.
Note:If you have problems adding the computer to workgroup manager, read the following instructions:
Step 2: define project owner
A user can only move a project if the user is the owner of this project.
The ownership of a project can only be changed by an Allplan administrator (or the owner of the project).
Allplan -> File -> ProjectPilot ->
Go to the “Projects” node, right-click the required project and click Propertieson the shortcut menu.
Define the owner.
Step 3: move projects
Sign in as the user who wants to check out the computer.
Select the Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Manage computers and projects.
Click the main server and select the project that you want to move.
Drag the projects one after the other to the computer to be checked out.
Important note: You can take projects with you in several ways.
1. You move the project to the computer.
Move project: Drag the project to the destination computer, or open the shortcut menu of the project and click “Cut”. After this, open the shortcut menu of the destination computer and click “Paste”.
After you have checked in the computer, move the project back to the server so that it is available to all and included in backups again.
2. You copy projects. Click a project, select and hold the Ctrl key and drag the project to the destination computer. Or: Open the shortcut menu of the project and click “Copy”. After this, open the shortcut menu of the destination computer and click “Paste”.
You can continue in two ways: Lock the original project on the server to protect it from changes. Consequently, nobody in the office can work on this project, but it is still on the server. When you check in the computer again, you unlock the project on the server, delete the project and copy your copy back to the server if you have changed the project.
Alternatively, both projects remain active. Consequently, both the project copied and the original on the server can be worked on. In this case, however, you must adjust the data manually when you are back in the office by copying the changed drawing files of the projects by using ProjectPilot.
Step 4: check out the computer
Select the Services application -> Workgroup Manager -> Manage computers and projects.
Click your computer and then click Check outin the lower-right area.
Confirm the message that tells you that there are still user folders on the computer to be checked out.
Enter a comment and click OK. Users in the office see this comment when they try to access a project that is on the computer that is checked out.
Specify the parts of the office standard you want to copy to the computer and click OK to confirm.
The first time you check out the computer, you must copy the office standard once so that the entire STD folder is on this computer. This is no longer necessary when you check out the computer afterward because the contents of the STD folder do not change very often.
You can now remove the computer from the network and work on your projects when you are out of the office. To make sure that the projects are not changed in the office in the meantime, the projects that are on the computer checked out are locked for the CAD users on the network. These users see the comment you entered when you checked out the computer.
- You can only check out a computer to which you are signed in. You cannot check out another computer over the network.
- Projects on this computer must be neither locked nor in use.
- For installations with license server: You must also borrow a license from the license server for the computer you want to check out.
Description of the Nemetschek Softlock license server:
Description of WiBu license server:
Allplan 2016: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20150618134322.html
Allplan 2017 and later: https://connect.allplan.com/en/faqid/20160523165423.html
What can I do if Allplan starts as a viewer only and I have to install a new hardlock driver?
Install the latest hardlock driver.
How to install:
Use the following link to download the driver:
The driver for Windows 7 and 8.1 is in the following folder.
If you are using Windows 10 then use the driver under the folder:
Extract and save the 'haspdinst.exe' file to any folder, for example, c:\drivers. Then open the command prompt:
Right-click Start (Windows button) -> Command Prompt (Admin)
Switch to the folder where you saved the file. To do this, type in "cd c:\drivers".
To remove the old drivers, enter the following command:
Next, install the new driver:
If you use a parallel hardlock, read the following instructions:
How can I restore a lost building structure or layout structure?
To restore a lost or corrupt building structure or layout structure, you can do the following:
- Close Allplan.
- Open Windows Explorer, go to the central file storage folder of Allplan and open the "Prj"folder. Open the corresponding project folder and the "BIM" subfolder.
If the "Same folder name as project name" option is not selected for the project, a number is used for the folder name in the "Prj"folder. In this case, open the Services applicationand select the woprohotline tool (Services application -> Service -> Hotline Tools -> wopro). Select the corresponding project by double-clicking its name. An information dialog box shows the folder and file name of the project.
- You can find an XML file for each structure in the BIM subfolder.
Objects derived from building structure:
Allplan_BIM_LevMo_"name of model".xml
- To restore the building structure from a backup, rename the existing file "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml" "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.old", for example.
- Switch to the "Backup"folder, which you can also find in the"BIM"folder.
- Select the most recent file that had been created beforethe building structure was deleted, for example, "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml.27.5.2008--10-32-21.bak". The characters in bold indicate the date and time of the backup. Copy this file to the "BIM"folder.
- Rename this file by deleting the characters after ".xml". Now the file name is "Allplan_BIM_BuildingStructure.xml".
- Restart Allplan. The last version of the building structure is displayed in the "Open on a project-specific basis"dialog box again.
Using Allplan 2009-2 and later, you can restore the layout structure from a *.bak file straight from the "Open on a project-specific basis: layouts"dialog box.
- Right-click the topmost structural level in the layout structure (project name) and select Load layout structure favoriteon the shortcut menu.
- Open the last version of the Allplan_BIM_LayoutStructure.xml file in the backup folder mentioned above.
If the *.bak files are not displayed, please follow the steps described above.
Why can’t I see anything in a project or why are elements missing from drawing files?
Why are layers not visible?
Why is it not possible to select a privilege set in layer selection?
Probably, you have not yet been assigned any privilege sets or the layers are frozen in the privilege set in question. First, check whether you can select another privilege set.
1. Selecting another privilege set
To do this, select the project in question and open the layer settings(Format -> Select, Set Layers). Go to the “Privilege set in list box” area at the top on the right and check whether you can select another privilege set (for example, ALLPLAN).
By default, all layers have full access rights in the predefined ALLPLAN privilege set.
If there is no privilege set with full access rights, you should assign the privilege sets correctly.
This can only be done by a user with administrator privilegesor, in the case of a project-specific layer structure, by the project owner.
Thus, log on as a user with administrator privileges and do the following:
2. Assigning a privilege set
Select the project with the frozen layers.
Open the layer settings(Format -> Select, Set Layers). Switch to the "Privilege Set" tab and click Define, modify privilege set.
Select the relevant user and assign the privilege set using the arrows.
Click OKto confirm.
3. Adjusting layers’ access rights in the privilege set
Finally, check the access rights of the layers in the privilege set assigned.
Go to the "Privilege set in list box" area at the top on the right and select the relevant privilege set (for example, ALLPLAN).
Check the area on the left to see whether there are frozen layers (gray or white). To change this, select these layers or simply select all layers using CTRL+A. Then click the Full access right (modifiable)icon in the “Change rights” area.
Click OKto confirm.
The next time you open this project, you can select this privilege set in the layer settings. You can then see all layers and set them to modifiable.
Do the same with print sets.
Since version 2006, the administrator has been able to select Show all users all print sets and privilege setsin the “Administrator options” group on the “Privilege Set” tab (“Design group” in version 2006). Thus, you do not need to assign new users to privilege sets. This option applies to all projects.
However, as soon as a user has been given a privilege set or print set, this option no longer applies to this user.
As a project can have its own layer structure, it is essential that you check the privilege set in the correct project.
To find out whether a project has its own layer structure, click
File -> New Project, Open Project-> right-click the relevant project -> Properties. Check whether the path settings for Layerstructuresare set to Officeor Project.
How can I transfer the NemSLock license permanently to a new computer?
Proceed as follows:
- Install the program on the new computer. Use the temporary license (xxx_xxx_psd.nslock) you received when you purchased the program. If you do not have a temporary license of the current version, contact your support team to request such a license.
You can then work with the program for 30 days – plenty of time to configure your new computer, transfer the office standard and projects and so on (you can find instructions in the FAQ database).
At the same time you can work with the program on your old computer without any restrictions.
- When you have transferred everything you need, return the license to us. To do this, use the old computer and click
Start -> (All) Programs -> Nemetschek -> Nemetschek SoftLock 2006 -> License Manager
(Services application -> Utilities -> License -> License Manager (NemSLock)).
Click "Relocate licenses -> Transfer licenses permanently to a computer". This creates the COMPUTER_NAME.hrdwchg file. Send this file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tip: Click 'Browse' in the 'Send hardware change file (*.hrdwchg)' dialog box. The program creates and saves the COMPUTERNAME.hrdwchgfile. Then Windows Explorerstarts and the folder with the hardware change file opens. You can now use all the options provided by Windows Explorer: for example, you can attach the file to an email, copy it to a computer having Internet access and so on. Email this file to email@example.com.
After you have created this file, the Allplan license of your old computer will still be valid for two more days.
As soon as we have removed the registration, we will send you a confirmation by email.
- Create a registration request (register.txt) on the new computer and send this file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To generate a registration request, do the following:
Open the License Manager (Service application -> Utilities- > License -> License Manager). Select the license entry for your seat and click "Request license". Please follow the instructions displayed on screen. Complete the form. Do not forget to enter your email address.
You will promptly receive the license for the new computer (provided you have returned the license to us as described above).
Installing this license file completes the license transfer to the new computer.
The COMPUTER_NAME.hrdwchg file is stored in the following folder:
Allplan 2012 and earlier:
- Windows 64-bit:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nemetschek\NemSLock2006\License
- Windows 32-bit:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nemetschek\NemSLock2006\License
Allplan 2013 and later:
- or C:\ProgramData\Nemetschek\NemSLock\HardwareTausch
How can I install a license for the following programs?
- Allplan BCM Building Costs (formerly Allright)
- Allplan BCM Construction Cost
- Allplan BCM Quantities
- BOS (BuildingOfficeSystem)
1) You want to install the program for the first time or upgrade it. -> Option 1)
2) You have already installed or upgraded the program; now all that remains is to install a current license. --> Option 2)
If we sent you a ZIP file or you downloaded one from the Serviceplus portal, save this file to your computer.
Extract the data in a folder of your choice.
The license contains the following files:
- Npsrequ.dat (optional)
- Install the program.
- Setup prompts you to specify the license. Specify the folder where you saved the license data mentioned above.
- Continue to install the program. After the installation, you can start the program without having to install another license.
To install the latest license, you do not need to install the program from scratch. Just install the license data.
Do the following:
- CloseallAllplan BCM applications that are running on your computer and on any other computer on the network.
- Start Windows Explorer.
- Open the folder with the data in Windows Explorer.
- Double-click the Setup.exefile.
- The license will be installed automatically.
- If you purchased the Tenderer module, you must install the license on each computer. Otherwise, it is enough if you install the license on any computer just once.
If you have problems, send us the exact wording of the error message and the license data (all the files of the ZIP file).
You can send the data by email to email@example.com.
Allplan starts as a viewer. What can I do?
Do the following:
1. The Allplan license folder contains the servcfg.nse file.
Open this folder:
Services application -> Service -> Windows Explorer -> General program data (ETC, LIC) -> License.
Delete the servcfg.nse file from this folder.
2. Install the new, appropriate license, which you can find in the attached file. Save the license to a folder on your computer and install it as follows:
Services application -> Utilities -> License -> Install HARDLOCK License
3. Check that the light indicator of the connected USB dongle (blue or white stick) is on all the time. To test it, you can connect the dongle to a different port.
4. Install the current hardlock driver if the light indicator is off.
You can find detailed instructions here:
5. Select the Services application -> Utilities -> License -> License settings -> Licenses.
Check if "Allplan FT" is displayed in the white window on the left. If this is so, Allplan has accepted the dongle.
If this is not so, send the logmes.nse file, info.001 file and the new servcfg.nse file (license folder) to firstname.lastname@example.org
After I have updated the driver of a graphics card from the Nvidia Quadro or GeForce series, I cannot start Allplan anymore.
I can see numerous error messages. What can I do?
Allplan no longer starts after you have installed a current driver of the Nvidia GeForce or Nvidia Quadro WHQL series.
You can solve the problem as follows:
For customers running Allplan 2014:
Install at least version 2014-1-3. This version works with the drivers mentioned above.
For customers running Allplan 2013 or an earlier version:
Start the Services application.
Select Service -> Windows Explorer -> General program data.
(Allplan 2012: Services application -> Service -> Windows Explorer (program folder))
Open the ETC folder and then the "Shaders" folder, for example, C:\ProgramData\Nemetschek\Allplan\2013\Etc\Shaders.
Find the "Postprocess.frag" file and rename it "Postprocess.OLD".
Copy the "Postprocess.frag" file, which you can find attached to this FAQ, into the "Shaders" folder.
A note on Allplan 2014-1-3:
Download this version from Allplan Connect or from the FTP server.
Copy this link and paste it into the address bar of Windows Explorer. Then press ENTER.
This opens the folder on our FTP server.
Select the appropriate file (for example, 'DoWn-allplan2014-1-3_x64-cad.zip' for 64-bit systems) and select Edit -> Copy (Ctrl+C). (If you run the Windows 32-bit system, download the other file.)
Switch to a folder on your computer and select Edit -> Paste (Ctrl+V).
After having downloaded the file, you can decompress it and start installing it by double-clicking the exe file.
To download large files, you can also use a download client, such as Filezilla (http://filezilla-project.org/).
How can I move NemSLock Server to a new server?
Reinstalling NemSLock Server
- Start the Setup program for NemSLock Server. You can find the latest Setup program on our FTP server:
- Select one of the temporary license files for NemSLock server (for example, 1234567a_001_psd.nslsrv). These licenses are valid for 30 days. However, each license includes only one seat of each configuration purchased. The full number of seats purchased will be available to you as soon as you have installed the registered licenses (see below). If you purchased a configuration for one seat only, you will, of course, receive only one temporary license.
- When you opt for the “Custom” setup type, you can choose between the following program features:
You can use this program to administer NemSLock Server. The console can be installed on several workstations. This way, you can administer the server from a number of different locations. However, you can only connect one console to the server at any one time.
The actual license server.
This tool analyzes the log files of NemSLock Server.
User List Generator
You can use this tool to create the users for NemSLock Server from a text file or based on a server.
By default, Setup installs all these features.
- If your license includes configurations for several seats, you need to install the additional temporary license files for NemSLock server after the installation (see below).
Transferring the user administration from the old server (if users are available)
- You can find the user administration in the program folder of the license server. Copy the "users.mcf" file to the program folder of the new license server.
- Stop the license server service on the new server before you copy the file. To do this, start the "stopService.bat" program, which is also in the program folder of the license server.
- After copying, start the license server service again. To do this, use the "startService.bat" program.
Returning the registered licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console on the old server by clicking the icon on the desktop or Start -> (All) Programs -> NemSLock 2006 Server -> NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Stop server".
- Click "Modules".
- Click "Transfer license permanently".
- Confirm the following dialog boxes. Click “Browse”.Windows Explorer starts and opens the folder with the hcws-format file. Now you can use all the options provided by Windows Explorer: for example, you can attach the file to an email, copy it to a computer with Internet access and so on.Send this file by email to email@example.com.
- We will send you an email, confirming that we have received the licenses.
- You always have to return all licenses.
- After you have done this, they are only valid for two more days.
Registering the license(s) on the new server
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console on the new license server.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Select the seat you want to register. If your license contains configurations for several seats, read the notes further down.
- Click "Registration request (register.txt)".
- Click "Edit".
- Fill out all fields marked with an asterisk (*). Make sure you enter your email address correctly, because the registered license file will be sent to this address (and not to the address of the person who sent the registration request!). Click OK to confirm.
- Click "Create registration request".Windows Explorer starts and opens the folder with the "register.txt" file. Now you can use all the options provided by Windows Explorer: for example, you can attach the file to an email, copy it to a computer with Internet access and so on.Send the registration request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your license includes configurations for several seats, you must send a separate registration request for each seat. You will then receive a registered license file for each seat. You must install each file.
How to install licenses
- Open NemSLock 2006 Server Console.
- Click "Stop server" on the left.
- Click "Modules" on the left.
- Click ”Browse” to navigate to the registered license file.
- Click "Install license file".
- After this, you can start the server again by clicking "Start server".
Configuring the clients
- Now you need to change each client to the new license server.
- Click Start -> (All) Programs -> Nemetschek -> Nemetschek SoftLock 2006 -> License Manager.
- If the license server window is hidden, click "Configure NemSLock Server"at the bottom. It is a good idea to lock this window. All you need to do is click the drawing pin icon.
- Enter the computer name or IP address of the license server in the empty box. Then click the "Update” icon to the right.
- Now the user can select one of the seats provided. Click "Close" to complete the configuration. Now you can start Allplan.
- After having successfully connected to the license server, clear the check boxes for the trial licenses in the area at the top.
- If a user selects several configurations for a seat and starts Allplan, the license server will provide the required licenses; in other words, starting Allplan once might require two licenses. Consequently, fewer licenses are available to other users.
- 2014-1 and later: If the latest version of License Manager is installed (file version 1. 0. 26. 153 or later, see License Manager- Options- System), you can also select several licenses. If one of the selected licenses is currently being used by someone else, the program will automatically select the next available license.
- Clients communicate with the server by TCP/IP via port 10977. So you need to configure the firewall accordingly.
- The license server and the licenses are downward compatible; they can be used in conjunction with older Allplan versions.